Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Help would be appreciated. There is a key with ins/prt screen on it but the INS doesn't seem to work...or more accurately I can't figure it out. I've used the control key, the alt key, etc with INS but nothing happens. Help!

Joanna

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

The ins/print screen button should only require you to press it once to turn insert (overtype) on or off.  Depending on the application you are using (overtype) might be turned off by default which would prevent "insert" from working.  The following instructions will help if you are using Microsoft Word 2007 or 2010:

Method 1

1. Do one of the following, as appropriate for your version of Word:
    • In Word 2010, click the File tab, and then click Options.
    • In Word 2007, click the Office Button icon, and then click Word Options.
  2. In the Word Options dialog box, click Advanced.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • To enable the INSERT key in order to control Overtype mode, click to select the Use the Insert key to control overtype mode check box.
    • To keep Overtype mode always enabled, click to select the Use overtype mode check box.
  4. Click OK.

Method 2

1. Right-click the Status bar, and then click Overtype. "Insert" is now displayed on the left side of the Status bar.
  2. To use Overtype mode, click Insert on the Status bar. "Overtype" is now displayed on the left side of the Status bar.

Note The Status bar is located at the bottom of the Word window.

The above instructions can be found at the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982946

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
HP Recommended

This doesn't answer the question. You've told how to do it IN WORD. The question is how to do it ON THE COMPUTER. Word is one of many many many programs a computer can use. Mine is stuck in overtype mode & I NEVER use Word! I'd like to know how to get THE COMPUTER off of this. 

HP Recommended

this is probably not helpful to you anymore, since you posted so long ago; however, i hope it helps the next person who reads this.  

I have an HP 350 G1 and ran into the same issue.  No matter what button I pressed in combination with the Insert/Print Screen key, I could not get the overwrite function to turn off while using Google Docs.  Then I noticed that the insert button was also on the 0 key of the number pad.  When I pressed the FN key with the 0 key, voila!  Overwrite function overwritten.  

HP Recommended

OMG!!!! Finally someone who knew the answer!  THANK YOU sooooo much 'pocket novella'!!! Pressing the fn and "0" worked!  I LOVE YOU!!!! 🙂

HP Recommended

My HP Envy has no separate number pad (only the row of numbers across the top, under function keys). I've been using CTRL+FN with INS/PRT SCR to insert and got stuck on overwrite - found, after some questing around the keyboard, that CTRL+ENTER turns this off again each time.

HP Recommended

Brilliant.

HP Recommended

My Fn does not work with the 0 key :indifferent:

I have an 

HP 17-f030us 17.3-Inch Laptop with Beats Audio (Natural Silver)

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!

I was looking for the answer to the same question, so I appreciate your comment.  I accidently typed "some combination of keys" and the typing no longer inserted letters but overwrote letters! 

I saw the INS on the zero key, but didn't know what combination of keys I needed to type.  I looked in several HP user guides and on several "question" websites!  All the answers assumed I was using a Word program!  I finally saw your answer!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your answer I feel like a total idiot now, but I am glad I asked cause it was driving me bats,,  I looked for a good ten minutes before I googled it. Thanks agian for your answer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.