Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dw0xxx 1A406UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows. Then I uninstalled the program using the windows control panel. Now, every time the system restarts, the error window appears with the message: "You'll need a new app to open this link hpdiags". Also appears the window console cmd.exe. How do I completely uninstall this "hpdiags" so that it doesn't appear every time?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@SteveK14

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem is that it is still trying to run after uninstall. Where is this stored? Where is it scheduled? How to uninstall FULLY without installing more HP spamware?

HP Recommended

@K0B

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The changes I've made is to install the HP Support Center and install the diagnostic tool. When the diagnostic tool threw a popup in the middle of a full-screen session about my battery quality (even though it was on charger) making the full-screen session exit, I uninstalled both.

Product number: 2PN57EA#BCM

HP Recommended

@K0B

Thank you for posting back. 

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: . HP PCs - How to power reset your computer

BIOS default:(do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and    Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. The good old "turn it off and turn it on". Unfortunately didn't help.

2. I would like to keep my BIOS settings.

Were you able to reproduce the issue?

Do need more information?

If you could provide the requested information about where is it installed and how is it triggered, we could help figuring out the solution.

HP Recommended

@K0B

This could be happening due to corrupted HP diagnostics drivers, right-click on the HP diagnostics icon and select the file location to know where the HP diagnostics drivers are installed. 

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's uninstalled, can't right click on icon

HP Recommended

@K0B

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.