cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Will not allow transfer of a 70 gig file onto an external drive

HP Recommended
hp core i7 10th gen 7pd87ua#aba
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hp will not allow me to transfer the large file onto a thumb drive 128 or a 500 gig external hard drive, both have been formatted to exFAT 126, (both work on my other laptop which is windows 10 up to date drivers).  I have used the Hp Laptop to format the external drives also.  when I look it shows the drives and acknowledges that the drive(s)  are there and that the full amount of space is on the drive (blank currently).  However, when I try to drag a 70 gig file onto the external drive or thumb drive the computer show that there is not enough space and gives you the information for the C drive of the Hp laptop.  I can move a small file onto the drives but nothing large.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
27,633 27,394 2,423 8,938
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ShiraK 

After a quick check, I do not see any obvious reason you cannot transfer a large file size to a properly formatted exFat drive space.

That said, If you have not already done so, try using Copy as opposed to Move.

One of many examples - article

Why can’t I copy large files to my USB Flash Drive?

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

tried copy and paste did not work, reformatted the drive still does not work, note:  this drive 500 gigs and 128 gig thumb drive work on ALL my other windows 10 computers but not the HP LAPTOP I can transfer 70 gig file no trouble however the HP keeps say c: does not have enough space (the reason for the external drive).  I am not trying to save to C: but f: which is the letter that has been assigned to the external drive. have tried copy and paste, I have tried drag and drop onto the external drive, I have also opened the external drive and tried everything over again.  I can drag and drop small files with no trouble just will not allow any larger files what so ever keep thinking I am trying to put it in C: which I am not

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the solution you have to turn off or remove the  Microsoft one drive once I did this I could transfer any size document to my external drive.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The solution is to remove or turn off MICROSOFT ONEDRIVE once done I was able to transfer any size document to my external drive. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation