Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dm1 Notebook LM829AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In November 2015 I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64 bit). My Bluetooth devices were working properly. Last week I did a complete hard disk reformat and reinstallation of Windows 10.  Now I cannot connect any of my Bluetooth devices. In Device Manager, it says the two Bluetooth devices (Generic Bluetooth Adapter and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator) are working properly. The drivers are both dated 21 June 2006, version 10.0.10586.420 (Microsoft).

When I try to connect, it shows "Your PC is searching for and can be discovered by Bluetooth devices.", but none of my devices (Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 and several Apple iDevices) show up. I have of course enabled discovery on the devices.

Is there a driver I need? I know this can work, since everything was OK after I upgraded to Windows 10, before the full reinstallation. Also, I followed the same procedures on my HP Pavilion destop (HPE-590t) and Buetooth works fine there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :generic:

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the W10 BT driver directly from Broadcom.

It would be the 3rd file listed.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the W10 BT driver directly from Broadcom.

It would be the 3rd file listed.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth

Thanks, but that did not help. During the installation, it said no Bluetooth device found, and the only option was to cancel the installation.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to be connected to the internet, click on the generic bluetooth adapter in the device manager, click on the driver tab, click on update driver, and select the automatic search and see if windows can find a suitable bluetooth driver.

It may take several minutes for windows to look for a driver.  It will either find one, or report the best driver is already installed.

Your notebook has a broadcom bluetooth v2.1 adapter, and it is probably too old to work on W10.

There are no drivers I could find for it from HP.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to be connected to the internet, click on the generic bluetooth adapter in the device manager, click on the driver tab, click on update driver, and select the automatic search and see if windows can find a suitable bluetooth driver.

It may take several minutes for windows to look for a driver.  It will either find one, or report the best driver is already installed.

Your notebook has a broadcom bluetooth v2.1 adapter, and it is probably too old to work on W10.

There are no drivers I could find for it from HP.

I had already tried to update the drivers for both devices, and yes, it said the best driver was already installed.

i would accept your age explanation, except, as I stated earlier, it was working under Windows 10 for over six months, before I did the complete reinstall. Therefore, it seems to me, it must be solvable.

i do appreciate your attention and thoughts. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Sorry that I overlooked the fact that it was working previously.

Since we all did in place upgrades to W10, I wonder if it carried over the W7 BT driver like it does for most of the devices.

I guess you can try the W7 BT driver and see if that works.

This package contains software and a driver to support the Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth Driver works together with the Broadcom WLAN Driver that supports the NIC in your notebook to enable Bluetooth connections. This package also provides additional Bluetooth Profiles.

File name: sp52717.exe

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Sorry that I overlooked the fact that it was working previously.

Since we all did in place upgrades to W10, I wonder if it carried over the W7 BT driver like it does for most of the devices.

I guess you can try the W7 BT driver and see if that works.

This package contains software and a driver to support the Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth Driver works together with the Broadcom WLAN Driver that supports the NIC in your notebook to enable Bluetooth connections. This package also provides additional Bluetooth Profiles.

File name: sp52717.exe

Thanks again for the thought and file, Paul. I tired it but Windows refused to let it run, saying "the Broadcom Bluetooth Software doesn't work on this version of Windows". I tired running it in Win7 compatibility mode; same result.

It seems like I'm locked out here.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I can't understand why it quit working on the clean install.

There are no W8, 8.1 or W10 drivers for that version of the BT radio.

I have a HP 6930p business notebook and it has the Broadcom based HP bluetooth radio v2.1 and W10 installed the driver, and the device is labeled as an HP Integrated bluetooth module and it works.

I tried to install the HP bluetooth software for W7 on the notebook when it was running W8 (because the bluetooth was listed as a generic BT adapter, and got the same notification you got on yours.

I have one last suggestion for you to try.

I just explored the W7 driver file using 7-zip and there are specific hardware drivers listed that hopefully W10 will pick up.

So...see if this works...

Download and install the free 7-zip file utility.  The 2nd item listed is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Download and save, but do not run the W7 bluetooth driver I posted again.

After you download the BT driver file, right click on it and select 7-zip from the list.

Have 7-Zip extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp52717).

Then go to the device manager and click on the generic bluetooth adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

You're very welcome.

I can't understand why it quit working on the clean install.

There are no W8, 8.1 or W10 drivers for that version of the BT radio.

I have a HP 6930p business notebook and it has the Broadcom based HP bluetooth radio v2.1 and W10 installed the driver, and the device is labeled as an HP Integrated bluetooth module and it works.

I tried to install the HP bluetooth software for W7 on the notebook when it was running W8 (because the bluetooth was listed as a generic BT adapter, and got the same notification you got on yours.

I have one last suggestion for you to try.

I just explored the W7 driver file using 7-zip and there are specific hardware drivers listed that hopefully W10 will pick up.

So...see if this works...

Download and install the free 7-zip file utility.  The 2nd item listed is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Download and save, but do not run the W7 bluetooth driver I posted again.

After you download the BT driver file, right click on it and select 7-zip from the list.

Have 7-Zip extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp52717).

Then go to the device manager and click on the generic bluetooth adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

Well, that didn't work either. This is what I got:

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

Rats!

Please post the hardware ID for the generic bluetooth adapter.

To find the hardware ID, go to the device manager and click on the generic bluetooth adapter.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the generic bluetooth adapter window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to device description.

Drop down on that list and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

The purpose of this request is to define the exact hardware ID for the list of adapters listed in the driver setup information file.  There are a few HP bluetooth radios listed there, and the next step will be to try and force Windows to install the driver for that specific ID.

I will give you the steps to do that tomorrow, as it is late in this neck of the woods.

It may work, it may not.

But if this doesn't work, then I will have to give up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.