Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ57
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Formatted hard drive,  downloaded win 10 iso on flash drive   The install stops with unexpected error, changed registry value from 1 to 3 on ChildCompletion, the error goes away but computer blue screens.    Does the bias need updating.  It’s a 2011 machine & it states windows 7 in the bias.  ????? 

Ive done like 8 reinstalls of Windows 10. Same outcome 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

I'll see if there is a BIOS update available.

You may want to reinstall W7 64 bit and then take the free upgrade back to W10 if W7 will install.

I would not recommend updating the BIOS in any other operating system but W7, since none of them would be supported to run on a newer operating system.

HP Recommended

Presario CQ57

HP Recommended

There is a product number that will look like the one in the link I posted...CQ57 isn't going to cut it.

5ES85EA#ABA

HP Recommended

QJ120EA#AEU

HP Recommended

The product number you posted indicates that you have a Compaq Presario CQ57-371SA notebook.

Below is the link to the driver page for that model...the BIOS update can be found under the W7 and W8 driver section.

Compaq Presario CQ57-371SA Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.48

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64611.exe

HP Recommended

Much Appreciated, your a Star.  Thanks I’ll try that now 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully, W7 will install, you can update the BIOS and then do the free upgrade to W10.

You just need to click in the blue Update Now button at the link below to upgrade to W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Your W7 installation will need to be activated in order to get the free upgrade to W10.

HP Recommended

My windows 7 installation has been deleted,  the hard drive has been Formatted.     some of the product code under the pc isn’t even legible   SMH. 

HP Recommended

OK.

If you were running W10 on there beforehand, then just install W7 and don't worry about the product key, so you can update the BIOS.  I think you have the option to skip entering the key and you can enter it later...which you can't.

Then see if you can clean install W10 as you were trying.

Here is a link to the W7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO download...toward the bottom of the page.

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

Use the microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

After you update the BIOS, hopefully you can clean install W10.

When you get to the part that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.