Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion dv6 2155dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop warranty is over couple of years ago but i want to get windows 7 product key as it is not clear on the sticker on the laptop anymore. How can i get it again? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Belarc Advisor should list the Product Key for you. 

ShowKeyPlus from the Microsoft Store (probably the best choice).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/showkeyplus/9pkvzcprx9nv?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The output is like this....
ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home
Version: 12345.678 (64-bit OS)
Product ID: 00000-00000-00000-AAOEM
Installed Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321
OEM Key: MICRO-SOFTY-WINDO-WSTEN-64BIT
OEM Edition: Win 10 RTM Core OEM:DM

ALSO
KeyFinderInstaller may help.…
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
It gives this…. – CD Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321

ELSE
There is a possibility of finding the same value in the Registry....
USING RegEdit the key is listed below and it’s content also shown.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

BackupProductKeyDefault 12345-67890-09876-54321

Three different names for the same value in 3 different software methods.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. But is there any way i can get it directly from hp support team? As now another os is installed on my laptop so i will need to recover win 7 again-which i am avoiding not to remove installed programms- and then check with the mentioned tools.

HP Recommended

Hi

NO.

What OS is currently installed?

HP Recommended

Let me tell you the full situation, now i have a cracked windows 7 version installed on it. I have tried to reinstall the recovery one, but i am facing an error and it did not complete the installation. So all the above tools unfortunately could not help unless i can do the recovery which is not working :(. So i was trying to find a way to get the product key as it is not clear now on the bottom of the laptop so i can download windows 7 official release from ms site and install it using my official key from hp. 

HP Recommended

Hi

You don't have an "official" key I believe.

You have a HP OEM key, which is not suitable to download Windows 7 from Microsoft.

For OEM versions try Heidoc...

Heidc 11-11-19.png

It doesn't get you a key but you do get a download and can make a bootable DVD I believe.

HP Recommended

I thought it is an official key as it looks like the product key came with official windows versions. You know that sticker on the bottom of the lap. 

Many many thanks for your support.

Seems i am going to install Linux release ubuntu or arch. 

HP Recommended

@AhmedSayed 

Just so you know why @Lil_Boy_Blue said NO -- HP keeps no records of individual product keys associated with individual PCs.

So, there is nothing that HP could have sent you, and @Lil_Boy_Blue already provided the two utilities that could have been used to recover the previous key, either from the Registry or from the BIOS SLIOC table.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.