Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15-aq000nb Azerty
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brandnew HP Envy x360 with Belgian azerty keyboard

The key 2 positions right to the spacebar, marked as <>\ does not generate those values, but generates the code for the CTRL key instead.

This can not be a virus or other issue, as this is a "just out of the box" fresh system. I really suspect a "Bug" here in the testing of the azerty layout for this particular model

The keyboard driver layout is the standard one provided with the OS by microsoft, called "Belgian Azerty decimal point"

The operatings system is on the latest patch level

The HP drivers are on the latest patch level

I guess this must be declared as "a problem" and not an "incident"

Cheers,

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

An update on this:

The keyboard does definitely send the "CTRL RIGHT" keyvalue. This does not surprise me, because in most keyboard layouts the key to the right of the "ALT GR" is indeed the CTRL RIGHT. But not on this AZERTY Belgian keyboard layout. There the key on that position is marked ><\ (you access the backslash by pressing alt gr together with the key, you acces the > by holding the shift)

So I guess this is a HP problem, and a product fault in a batch of those PC's.

I used following bypass to solve it for me (but I guess it still remains a bug for HP):

Using the freeware SharpKeys. http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/
I remapped in the registry the key Right CTRL (E0_1D) to 0x0056 (00_56)

This solved it for me.

Hope HP takes notice to check if there is a production flaw in this batch of HP envy

Cheers,

Stefan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Stefanbic,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you have keyboard issues with the unit and some of the keys don’t work correctly. I am really happy to help you. In fact, you have deduced the situation well. It may be a faulty keyboard. Kudos to you for that.

Please perform these steps to isolate the issue:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.
  1. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Please run system diagnostics for the keyboard. Here’s the link: http://hp.care/2bOrqZQ Please follow the steps from the option “Testing using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)” to run keyboard diagnostics from component tests. If it fails, make a note of the failure code.

Please perform these steps also to check the keyboard in the command prompt outside of windows:

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.

If it works fine then it may not be a hardware issue with the keyboard and can be corrected with a system recovery.

Hope this helps. Do let me know how this goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button for my efforts. Please remember to mark "Accept as Solution" if this helps. Thanks and have a blessed week ahead!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

An update on this:

The keyboard does definitely send the "CTRL RIGHT" keyvalue. This does not surprise me, because in most keyboard layouts the key to the right of the "ALT GR" is indeed the CTRL RIGHT. But not on this AZERTY Belgian keyboard layout. There the key on that position is marked ><\ (you access the backslash by pressing alt gr together with the key, you acces the > by holding the shift)

So I guess this is a HP problem, and a product fault in a batch of those PC's.

I used following bypass to solve it for me (but I guess it still remains a bug for HP):

Using the freeware SharpKeys. http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/
I remapped in the registry the key Right CTRL (E0_1D) to 0x0056 (00_56)

This solved it for me.

Hope HP takes notice to check if there is a production flaw in this batch of HP envy

Cheers,

Stefan

HP Recommended

Hi @Stefanbic,

Kudos to you on resolving the issue on your own. Aren't you clever! Awesome job figuring out the actual keyboard layout, the Belgian keyboard layout and performing the registry tweak. I truly think you have done an amazing job. This will be useful to others with the same issue. You could mark this as "Accepted as Solution".

Take care and have a blessed weekend ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the exact same issue with my Pavilion Notebook with Windows 10, 64-bit. I have a QWERTY keyboard for English and Canadian French. The key with | and \ on it, between the right alt and the left arrow, is acting like the right ctrl. It's not an issue of a sticky key. I guess HP made faulty keyboards for many-many of its laptops. Other people have the same problem:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/gt-lt-key-functions-as-a-Ctrl-ke...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Keyboard-ctrl-key-stuck/m-p/557...

Thanks for the sharpkeys link, I hope this will solve my issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @anasta5ia,

Welcome to the HP forums!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just bought a new HP Pavlilion 15-cx0000nb with AZERTY-Belgian keyboard, and noticed the exact same problem. The same solution also works for me - but... the original question is two years old. I can't believe that HP hasn't been able to fix this simple bug in 2 years time??

HP Recommended

Thank you. I have tried your advice and it works very well!

Well done!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.