Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop battery isn't charging.  I've had this problem for months now. I have read many posts and answers and haven't found a solution that works.

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit on an Envy laptop.

These are the fixes I've tried (not in order):

• I've updated the BIOS following directions found on the forums.  Current version is BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.54, 10/23/2017
  • I've uninstalled the battery microsoft drivers under device manager several times
  • I've removed the battery, held the power button for three minutes, many many times.  

Some of this fixes work for a few days and then I'm back to the laptop not charging.

The battery tests fine.

Any other ideas?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi donndeli,

Failure ID MCWHWK-78G91X-MFPWL1-C0EC03 translates to error code 601 or Battery 1. Upon a bit of research, I concluded that this usually means that the battery is failing or has deteriorated beyond 25% of its original capacity.

I found these battery options for your CTO laptop:

4-cell, 41 WHr 2.8AH Li-ion battery 756743-001

4-cell, 48 WHr 2.3AH Li-ion battery 756745-001

As you can see, one has a slightly larger capacity. You can use the numbers on the right of the part in the HP Parts Store or find it elsewhere on the Internet. 

Hope this helps,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show thanks!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi donndeli,

Is the battery check through HP Support Assistant or HP UEFI Diagnostics?

Please run a system board test and power source test.

These are the steps:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2
  3. Select component tests
  4. System Board
  5. Power Source test

I need to confirm whether the AC adapter is the problem.

Please post back with the results.

Regards,

kem579

HP Recommended

I ran the battery test and AC adapter the way you described and they both passed.  Battery is at 63% charge capacity and is rather old at over 1224 days.  (Once the charging issue is fixed, I will buy a new battery).   

Since I posted, I redid the whole sequence of:  take the battery out, unplug, press down power button, repower, delete battery drivers, power down, add back in battery, reboot. 

So far the laptop has been charging properly for the last two days.   

I will wait until it stops charging and rerun the battery and AC adapter test again and report back!

Thanks kem579!

HP Recommended

Great news -- I ran the component battery test when the system wasn't charging and got a battery error.

The intermittedness of the charging problem has been most confusing.

I'm assuming I need a new battery and will replace it.

The error code was something like:  MWHWK-78G91X-MFPPWLC0E03

HP Recommended

Hi donndeli,

Did you try the system board test? I don't think there's a motherboard issue but there's a slight possibility.

Unfortunately, the error code you posted is invalid. It is supposed to be 4 sets of 6 characters. The first set only has 5 characters. 

If you are still in warranty, please contact support and HP will repair/replace for free.

Contact HP Worldwide here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html
Check warranty status here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

If you need to replace the battery yourself, a specific model/product number would be appreciated. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Forum)

Information on how to find a laptop's model/product number is detailed in this HP document: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00033108

Regards,

kem579

HP Recommended

Sorry about that - my mistake.

MCWHWK-78G91X-MFPWL1-C0EC03

I ran a quick system test and it returned the same error on the battery and ended the test. 

I have a HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC, product number G7Z03AV.

HP Recommended

Hi donndeli,

Failure ID MCWHWK-78G91X-MFPWL1-C0EC03 translates to error code 601 or Battery 1. Upon a bit of research, I concluded that this usually means that the battery is failing or has deteriorated beyond 25% of its original capacity.

I found these battery options for your CTO laptop:

4-cell, 41 WHr 2.8AH Li-ion battery 756743-001

4-cell, 48 WHr 2.3AH Li-ion battery 756745-001

As you can see, one has a slightly larger capacity. You can use the numbers on the right of the part in the HP Parts Store or find it elsewhere on the Internet. 

Hope this helps,

kem579

HP Recommended

Thanks!

I will replace the battery and see what happens.

The intermittent battery error is confusing, but I'm hoping that's the fix! If not, I know where to come to for help.

Thanks again,

D.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.