Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 6570b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I recently re-installed win 7 pro 64bit and the HP software, but the system will not install the bcm20702a driver, which shows up as an unknown device in Device Manager. I have tried various uploads but to no effect. Can anyone help?

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for that device...

This package contains the Broadcom Bluetooth driver and software for supported models that are running a supported operating system. Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Driver is required to enable Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 devices and is compatible with Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0 and earlier versions. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66402.exe

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately the driver upload failed. The error message was:

"The contentents of the file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again."

In fact I did have another copy of the file, which did appear to install, but knocked out my wifi internet connection, whilst on a reboot where the driver attempted to automatically install, another error message said:

"Network Controller X No driver found"

"Unidentified Device X Failed"

In Device Manager, under Other devices, an exclamation mark remains showing on BCM20702A0, whlist on Network Controller, which has altered, as this previously marked only as an "unidentified device".

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

See if these newer drivers work...

Wireless:

This package contains Broadcom Wireless LAN driver and is required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN adapter in supported notebook models running a supported operating system. This package also contains the Broadcom Wireless Utility application and IHV Extensions that add support for Cisco Compatible Extensions. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72618.exe

Bluetooth:

This package contains the Broadcom Bluetooth driver and software for supported models that are running a supported operating system. Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Driver is required to enable Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 devices and is compatible with Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0 and earlier versions. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73091.exe

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

The first driver restored the LAN, but the second bluetooth driver would not install, with the same message given: "The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again."

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have seen this happen with a few forum members' PC's and those files.

There is nothing wrong with the files, but for some unknown reason, some PC's reject them.

So see if this works before I throw different versions of the driver at you.

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd line on the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, download but do not run the last bluetooth driver I posted for you (sp73091).

After you download and save sp73091, right click on it and select 7-zip from the list of items.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file to its folder name (sp73091).

Once that is done, go to the folder 7-zip created, and run the setup.exe application (when I run 7-zip on that file, it is the last icon in the folder), and see if that gets the driver to install.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I did all of that, excepting the last stage, install. Because looking at the files when they had extracted in the 7zbox, everyone was labelled with a data error, beginning with a checksum error. Is this significant?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there might be a problem.

When I extracted the file, I didn't receive any errors at all.

Same with the other one. No errors.

Something isn't right on your end, but what I do not know.

Try the driver directly from Broadcom...5th one down on the list.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/

HP Recommended

Hi,

No, it did not install. Same message again.

I think I tried the direct download a couple of days ago.

I don't know could be wrong. It is fresh install of win7 on a brand new Sandisk 480Gb SSD. That appears to be ok barring the bluetooth issue. I have run a scan for windows errors from the cmd, and that was fine.

I can only think that something might have been installed out of sequence perhaps.

HP Recommended

I don't get what's wrong either.

Your PC is rejecting every Broadcom bluetooth driver out there, but is not rejecting any other driver file.

So...here is my last attempt to help you other than to suggest you try reinstalling W7 again.

I have zipped up and uploaded the unzipped HP Broadcom driver file that I know is just fine to my skydrive folder and shared the link with you below.

Download, unzip and run the setup.exe file. from the file labeled sp73091.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApMb5dJXSS-DggdDoXYwN0FYRE8t

Use the windows unzip utility this time.

If that doesn't work, then if you decide to reinstall W7, here is what I do...

If your W7 edition is not sp1, upgrade to sp1 first before installing any drivers.

You can download the sp1 standalone file below.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Once you are at SP1, install the following drivers in this order and restart the PC after each installation.

1. Intel chipset installation utility.

2. Graphics driver

3. Audio driver

4. Ethernet driver.

5 wireless driver (you may as well use the latest one I posted).

Then you can install any driver you want in any order you want.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.