Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LAPTOP-VB009BRP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please can you help? I cannot open the .jpg photos from a memory stick made on an Apple Mac. It shows the list of photos on the memory stick in file explorer but when i try to open an individual photo it comes up with a message saying, "cannot open this file" The same memory stick opens ok on the Mac. Please explain simply as I am not very technical, Many thanks for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you Visruth, i followed the link however it was something i had tried before and it didnt work. Still show up with the message "unable to open this file"

HP Recommended

Are you able to send the photo through email to yourself and download, open the email from Windows machine?

HP Recommended

hello gain visruth, 

thank you again but it still says thi file cannot be opened. 

HP Recommended

That means the file is broken.

Can you rename the file like xxxxx.jpeg , where "xxxxx" is the file name , and then try to open in the Windows machine?

HP Recommended

i am not sure about that however i have made a discovery. i have just looked at the files again ad some of them are named "IMG_4224.jpg" (as an example) and these ones will open. the ones that dont open have a ".-" before the IMG. do you know what that means and how to change that?

HP Recommended

What about re-naming it into openable naming format?

Right click file, for re-naming

HP Recommended

no i know how to rename a file but these ones wont let me do that. do you know why they would have the .- in front of it?

HP Recommended

Don't know if you fixed your photo problem, but I had the same issue. I went into my paystore and downloaded and installed my photos, works great

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.