Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptop has a message requesting "create system recovery media". Since purchasing the notebook, I have upgraded to  win10 (the free online version), from win8.1, which I upgraded from 8.0 immediately after purchase. I have a 3 disk recovery set which I think I made when I bought the HP. The instructions indicate that only one set can be made. Also, the instructions indicate that more than 3 disks are needed. But when I start the process only a USB option is available. How do I determine if the 3 disk set is the right set for this PC? I'm confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello slickamis;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about creating recovery media and wanted to help.

If you didn't create the HP Recovery Media before doing the Win10 upgrade, it is a waste of time trying to do that now.  Why?  Two reasons ...

First, the Win10 Upgrade has a nasty history of corrupting OEM recovery information, and if that happened to yours, any media you create is not going to work.

Second, that media would only have been for the original OS, and the recovery information is not updated when you do the Win10 upgrade.  So, the media could not be used for a Win10 recovery.

My suggestion, is if you want to create recovery media for Win10, then consider using a third-party solution known  as Macrium Reflect (MR). 

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello slickamis;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about creating recovery media and wanted to help.

If you didn't create the HP Recovery Media before doing the Win10 upgrade, it is a waste of time trying to do that now.  Why?  Two reasons ...

First, the Win10 Upgrade has a nasty history of corrupting OEM recovery information, and if that happened to yours, any media you create is not going to work.

Second, that media would only have been for the original OS, and the recovery information is not updated when you do the Win10 upgrade.  So, the media could not be used for a Win10 recovery.

My suggestion, is if you want to create recovery media for Win10, then consider using a third-party solution known  as Macrium Reflect (MR). 

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

HP Recommended

Ok,  I think I understand, but, You mentioned something about"when" I made the disks. I believe I created them on the day of purchase. Does that make a difference?

Also, The notebook came with 8.0,  Can I run disk #1of the three I made to identify  it?

Lastly, since I am running win10, do I need to make a system recovery via the download you reccommended?

Thanks, you are very helpful

HP Recommended

slickamis

The recovery disks SHOULD work to return your PC to Win8 -- but I thought you were asking about recovery for Win10.

You can't make recovery disks using the HP utility for Win10 because the files to do that do not come with the Win10 upgrade; instead, that can only be done on PCs that come preinstalled with Win10 from HP.

If you want recovery media for Win10, you should make an image backup using MR.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

very helpful stuff. Thanks.

You are correct, I think . Here is my confusion .

what system recovery is the HP Support Assistant asking for? The message to create does not specify, therefor, since I have made the original recovery media, can I presume HP is asking for win10 system recovery? If I make a third party copy, will the messages stop?

Thanks so much for your help

HP Recommended

slickamis

You should really forget about using HP Recovery at this point.  Whatever it is asking for simply does not exist --at least, not anymore.  You're troubling yourself unnecessarily over this.

Just use MR to do the image backup and don't bother with HP Recovery anymore.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I needed to hear that because I am stressing over this issue. 

Update: HP sent me a BIOS update, which I downloaded and installed. Does that mean I now have the means to create the system recovery that HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT is messageing me to create? Or am I still stressing over the same issue??

(please be patient with me. I suffer from Cyber idiot syndrome). Clearly, that blue icon with the orange box containing the exclamation point in my task bar is causing me stress.

Note: I downloaded Macrium as you instructed. I will lean on you once more if you will allow. 

Thanks for your help

Rick

HP Recommended

slickamis

No, the BIOS update has nothing whatsoever to do with being able to use the HP Recovery Manager.

As I said, it won't work in Win10 to do a recovery because the files needed for that only come with HP machines that were preinstalled with Win10.

The MS Win10 Upgrade does not provide those files, nor does HP make them available.

So, using MR is really the only recovery option that is available, now.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I think you have finaly pounded the answer into my head.  Having said that, and this may seem trivial, but what do I have to do to satisfy HP Support assistant telling me to create recovery media. Will I have to accept that my task bar will allways show a big yellow box with exclamations? I'm not trying to be difficult. I am just making sure I have provide you with the right information.

Thank you so much for the responces you have provided, and in advance for responding to this post. You have been very helpful.

Rick (slickamis)

HP Recommended

slickamis

Sad to say, I've never trusted built-in recovery solutions, including creating backup media.

In recent versions of HPSA, there's a screen allowing you to un-select each option.  IF you can do that, you can disable it from nagging you anymore.

Otherwise, you may have no choice other than to allow it to try to create the media, understanding that the process may fail and/or the media may be no good.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.