Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

CHKDSK C: /f resulted in 'Cannot lock current driver' and 'in use by another process' and the opportunity to schedule the check for the next bootup.

At the next bootup, CHKDSK resulted in 'Cannot open volume for direct access' and 'error from recently installed software package'.  It suggested that I revert to a system restore point.  I've now reverted as far back as the earliest restore point, and have repeated the CHKDSK after each reversion with the same results.

I have recently reset my notebook to factory settings, and have updated the BIOS and drivers from the HP site.  I have installed AVG (which I've used for years and have installed on two other notebooks with no problems at all).  I uninstalled the Windows 10 and PDF Complete bloatware trials.  I disabled HP Health Check Service because it caused problems from the very first.

All of this effort is to try to resolve a delay at bootup.  Windows loads quickly, but there is a long delay before the User Login screen appears, and another (shorter delay) before the password screen appears.  It can take up to three minutes to long in.  Once logged in, the notebook performs beautifully.  Anyway, I decided to do a DSKCHK, and am now stuck.

If anyone has experienced either the login delay problem or the DSKCHK problem, please let me know how you resolved it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, WAWood.  I will keep the information you provided for possible future use,  but I'm happy to say that I've found a solution to my problem.

I came across a video at  www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxXslzFa8c  in which PCRoger showed how he solved the problem by 'excluding' the drive he wanted to check from Microsoft Security Essentials. I don't have MSE, but I do have AVG Internet/Virus protection, and I wondered if I could exclude the drive from AVG. Sure enough, I found that AVG does allow exclusions through Menu/Settings/General/Exceptions, so I was excited to try it. Unfortunately, it didn't do the trick as it seems to exclude only the files on the drive and not the drive itself. However, thinking I might be on the right track, I uninstalled AVG and, voila, CHKDSK worked (and my disk came up with a clean bill of health).
I've now reinstalled AVG but am quite prepared to uninstall it if I want to CHKDSK again.

An added bonus of the uninstall/reinstall of AVG is that my boot time has reduced considerably.  I can't explain that but I'll take it.

I know this won't be the solution to every DSKCHK situation, but I hope it will help some people.  Even if their security software is something else, it would be worth trying a similar approach.

View solution in original post

http://PCRoger.com/go/vantec-usb-hdd-adapter/ - The Vantec USB hard drive adapter is a great tool for easily accessing a hard drive to recover files, perform hard drive diagnostics or to even repair a hard drive. Sometimes, though, an antivirus software like Microsoft Security Essentials might ...
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Vivvvv 

I know this doesn't directly answer your question -- but long startup dealys, accompanied by CHKDSK problems, are invariably a sign of a failing hard drive.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, WAWood.  I will keep the information you provided for possible future use,  but I'm happy to say that I've found a solution to my problem.

I came across a video at  www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxXslzFa8c  in which PCRoger showed how he solved the problem by 'excluding' the drive he wanted to check from Microsoft Security Essentials. I don't have MSE, but I do have AVG Internet/Virus protection, and I wondered if I could exclude the drive from AVG. Sure enough, I found that AVG does allow exclusions through Menu/Settings/General/Exceptions, so I was excited to try it. Unfortunately, it didn't do the trick as it seems to exclude only the files on the drive and not the drive itself. However, thinking I might be on the right track, I uninstalled AVG and, voila, CHKDSK worked (and my disk came up with a clean bill of health).
I've now reinstalled AVG but am quite prepared to uninstall it if I want to CHKDSK again.

An added bonus of the uninstall/reinstall of AVG is that my boot time has reduced considerably.  I can't explain that but I'll take it.

I know this won't be the solution to every DSKCHK situation, but I hope it will help some people.  Even if their security software is something else, it would be worth trying a similar approach.

http://PCRoger.com/go/vantec-usb-hdd-adapter/ - The Vantec USB hard drive adapter is a great tool for easily accessing a hard drive to recover files, perform hard drive diagnostics or to even repair a hard drive. Sometimes, though, an antivirus software like Microsoft Security Essentials might ...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.