Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy x360 13m-bd0023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Faced the problem of using f1 in apps and games. When you press f1, the computer tries to launch Help and Support Center in the browser, but does not perform the functions assigned to it in games and applications. I tried to disable the help call by restricting the rights to run it, however, although this turned off the help, it did not enable the function in other applications.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@michael_shav 

IF the F1 has multiple functions, then pressing F1 by itself is NOT going to invoke functions allocated to it in games and apps.

You would have to press Fn+F1  to activate the F1 functions.  That is how these multiple functions keys work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply. However, pressing Fn + F1 calls the Fn function (reading mode, as I understand it), at the same time I reconfigured the function keys themselves to use native functions and they all work fine, with the exception of f1, which is not intercepted by other programs and always tries to start Windows support. For example, on another computer, f1 calls support only on the desktop, while in another program (for example, google chrome) f1 calls up Google Chrome help. In games, F1 executes the corresponding command that is assigned to it by the game. On a laptop, f1 runs Windows Help in any scenario. Could this be a bug with the operating system that came with the laptop?

HP Recommended

@michael_shav 

Odd that is is only F1 -- but I seriously doubt this is an OS problem because the OS only does what it is told to do with the keys.

Somewhere, some other function is assigned to the F1 key but I have no idea where that is.  You could try rebooting in Safe mode to see if that makes any difference, and if it does, then something being launched at Startup time is the culprit.

Here's how to get into Safe mode in Win10:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer! Booting in safe mode, again, did not give results: f1 is not intercepted by open applications. other f keys are intercepted correctly. I believe that this is a problem in the operating system, because it must transmit the command received from the keyboard to the desired window / service / application, but it is f1 that it is always to itself, no matter what application is running.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.