Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop isn't starting , when i open it i get the hp logo then a black screen , when i made a fast system test the hard drive short DST check failed with a failer ID: PLW6J2-6SL88N-MFPWXG-60RR03 and a Product ID: E2G95EA#ABV.

my main concern is the data stored on the hard disk what can i do to get the laptop working a don't loose the data ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Stop using the laptop. Replace the hard drive with a new one. Get a SATA to usb adapter to connect the old drive (which you will remove) to another computer to try to salvage data. There is a good chance data is still recoverable this way. 

See p. 49 of the Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Stop using the laptop. Replace the hard drive with a new one. Get a SATA to usb adapter to connect the old drive (which you will remove) to another computer to try to salvage data. There is a good chance data is still recoverable this way. 

See p. 49 of the Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

thank you i was able to salvage data from the hard.

But is there any other way to get the laptop to work without replacing the hard drive ?

The laptop doesn't boot and now when i open it, the automatic repair starts but fails to solve the issue.

I'm also trying to avoid recovering the windows as i will need to start over and reinstall a lot of important programs for my collage and unfortunately i don't have the time . 

HP Recommended

Hi, just remove your hard drive and install data recovery software from here. After this connect your damaged hard drive in the system to recover your data.

HP Recommended

The OP did recover data as stated above. There is no way to get the laptop to work again without replacing the hard drive. Once the drive fails the short DST test it is seriously corrupted and unsound and no longer can be trusted to run an operating system. This illustrates the need for regular backups including a system image. If you had a backup with system image restoring all your data, apps, settings would be a very simple matter. 

HP Recommended

Even I have similar problem while I turn on my laptop (Hp pavilion x360 convertible)

it was blank then while doing a system extensive test it show hard drive optimised dst check not available ,so if I factory reset will it work

HP Recommended

No. If the system is not detecting a hard drive there is nothing to restore to. You need to replace the drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.