Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After windows did its updates the fingerprint scanner no longer recognizes finger print when trying to setup a finger. It says to place you finger on and off multiple times and then an error comes up saying something went wrong. I did go into device manager and remove the driver and  re-load it and i also told it to check for updates. The driver appears to be installed correctly but it does not allow for finger print setup. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@pfirez,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Let's try some troubleshooting steps now.

Step 1: Uninstall the Fingerprint reader software.
Click on Ask Me Anything box beside the Start button.
Type Device Manager and open device manager from the search results.
Under the Biometric category, right-click on anything which is listed and select Uninstall.
Step 2: Restart the PC.
Step 3: Please download the latest Fingerprint reader software from this link.
Step 4: Install the software and configure your fingerprint.

Install the latest printer fingerprint drivers from this link. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Step 1. Use the Windows shortcut keysWin + R to launch the Run.

Step 2. Type “gpedit.msc” and then hit the Enter.

Step 3. Expand Computer Configuration and then go to Administrative Templates -> Windows Components –> Biometrics.

Step 4. Double-click it and then open the Allow the use of biometrics setting.

Step 5. Tick the Enabled option.

Step 6. Click the Apply and then OK.

Step 7. Apply the modification one more time to the Allow users to log on using biometrics setting.

Step 8. Restart your computer and let the modification take effect.

If the issue still persists uninstall the fingerprint drivers from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

You may also refer to this support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.