Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-dw3019nj
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought HP laptop 15-dw3019nj in hope to get good quality product with good performance, however I was disappointed. During the usage I experienced lags, freezes and different undesired behaviour (being forced to desktop and more), while overall performance felt similar to my previous HP laptop from 2013, and this with intel I7 gen11 CPU!!! After I conducted my research I found out that the cause of those lags are HP bloatware (HP Assistant, Analytics and more) so I made clean install of whole OS. At the beginning those lags disappeared and my laptop became usable and fast, however later I saw that those HP bloatware returned with windows update, but now as drivers and not applications. The lags and freezes returned as well. Some of the drivers, like HP Touchwiz Analytics are located in %windir%\system32\driverstore\filerepository while they doesnt exist in device manager (hidden analytics, yeah well played HP). When I remove them manually I regain back my laptop from bloatware, but they always return with windows update. Later I figured out that there is a way to get rid of this issue by disabling specific feature in BIOS, however I dont have it in my BIOS, so it looks like it is enabled forever. It is very disgusting that I had to pay big ammount of money to get laptop for upcomming academic semester, but got HP Analytics that eats my CPU, overheats the device and cant be disabled. I never saw such treatment at ASUS, DELL or Lenovo. And it is more disgusting that I have to use my MCSE skills to make temporary fixes using group policies and registry editting.

Dear HP Admins/Support, I demand solution to my issue - a way to disable undesired components. I will be also very glad to get advice/solution from fellow users. Otherwise this will be my last HP device bought ever. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

As a fellow user, see if running the Hide Windows Update utility prevents the offending drivers from reinstalling.

Microsoft used to have this posted on their support site, but removed it for who knows what reason.

I have zipped up the utility and attached it below.

I use it all the time to prevent automatic unwanted driver installations from reoccurring after I have removed them.

Since this is a peer to peer forum and not HP customer support, I suggest you contact the HP executive team at the link below to address any concerns you may have.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I have this utility and it indeed prevents updates from being installed, but each time MS uploads updated driver this solution requires re-application. Here is where I use group policy to prevent drivers from being installed, but this requires "device ID" to exist. This blocks Application driver from being installed, but HP Analytics and other software components still can sneak, since they have no device ID (they don't appear in device manager at all). I temporary disabled update of ALL drivers from windows update, however this solution will keep me from being up to date, especially when Windows 11 is going to be released and manufacturers adapt their drivers for newer OS. In addition there is something that triggers DISM to install those components even without interference of windows update, that is what I investigate now. I'm still relatively junior at administration. Still wonder why HP has not implemented the "disable" button in my BIOS. The situation is much worse than MS and Xiaomi telemetry, since it disturbing my usage session (MS had compattelrunner.exe issue, but resolved it quickly). 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can see if the info at the links below help you with disabling the HP Analytics software...

TAInstaller.exe HP Touchpoint Analytics Installer using high resources (thewindowsclub.com)

HP stealthily installs spyware called HP Touchpoint Analytics Client | Computerworld

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.