Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp notebook g62 pc
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

my laptop cam with AMD athlon 2 N370 processor.

i wanted to know if i could change the processor to intel i5 core 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome @TechPerson121, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums!

I have read your post on the HP Support Forums and I understand that you are looking to upgrade your Processor. Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP G62 Notebook PC.

If you take a look at page 1 in Chapter 1, you will see that it shows a list of AMD Processor's that are compatible with your specific Notebook. 

You can use one of the following Compatible AMD Processors: 

• AMD Phenom™ N930 Processor (2.0 GHz, 2 MB total L2 cache, 1333 MHz)—Quad core 35 W
  • AMD Turion II P560 Processor (2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)— Dual core 35 W
  • AMD Athlon II N370 Processor (2.5 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)- Dual core 35 W
  • AMD Turion II N570 Processor (2.7 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)- Dual core 35 W
  • AMD Phenom II N970 Processor (2.2 GHZ 2 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)-Quad core
  • AMD Phenom II P960 Processor (1.8 GHZ 2 MB L2 cace 1066MHz)- Quad core 25 W
  • AMD Phenom II N870 Processor (2.3 GHZ 1.5 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)—Triple core
  • AMD Phenom II P860 Processor (2.0 GHZ 1.5 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)-Triple core 25 W (for model 1.2 only)
  • AMD Phenom II N660 Processor 3.0 GHZ 2 MB
  • AMD Phenom II P950 Processor (2.6 GHZ 2 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)-Quad core 25 W
  • AMD Athlon II P360 Discrete Processor 2.3 GHZ 35 W (for model 1.2 only)
  • AMD Champlain V160 Processor (2.4 GHZ 512 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)-Single core 25 W

In the maintenance and service guide I have provided above, you can also find the part number for the heatsink, if in fact that is the issue and you would like to replace it. You can use the HP Part Surfer to find replaceable/compatible parts. 

If any of the information provided resolve the issue, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution" so that other's who have the same issue can find the step's easily. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you.

Don't forget to click the Thumbs Up to show your appreciation. 

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community!
Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I really dont think this would be possible with currently installed system board. You can upgrade to a compatible AMD CPU, but not to an Intel CPU.

Unfortunately the CPU must match what the system board in the notebook is compatible with. One cannot install an Intel CPU in a system board made for an AMD CPU. The same applies to desktop motherboards.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

what is the highest possible cpu for this motherboard??

HP Recommended

Hi there @TechPerson121, 

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I read your post and wanted to reach out to help you!

Could you please provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) so that I can look into the specifications? 

Thanks for joining in and posting on the Forums! 

Looking forward to your reply 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

the model number is g62-339WM

HP Recommended

well i am wondering something else now because i was told that the heat sink was the problem of it shutting off automatically.

now i want to know what kind of processors can i put in my laptop.

info, just incase you missed it.

-HP Notebook G62-399WM

-AMD Athlon II (current processor)

-AMD graphics

HP Recommended

Welcome @TechPerson121, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums!

I have read your post on the HP Support Forums and I understand that you are looking to upgrade your Processor. Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP G62 Notebook PC.

If you take a look at page 1 in Chapter 1, you will see that it shows a list of AMD Processor's that are compatible with your specific Notebook. 

You can use one of the following Compatible AMD Processors: 

• AMD Phenom™ N930 Processor (2.0 GHz, 2 MB total L2 cache, 1333 MHz)—Quad core 35 W
  • AMD Turion II P560 Processor (2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)— Dual core 35 W
  • AMD Athlon II N370 Processor (2.5 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)- Dual core 35 W
  • AMD Turion II N570 Processor (2.7 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)- Dual core 35 W
  • AMD Phenom II N970 Processor (2.2 GHZ 2 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)-Quad core
  • AMD Phenom II P960 Processor (1.8 GHZ 2 MB L2 cace 1066MHz)- Quad core 25 W
  • AMD Phenom II N870 Processor (2.3 GHZ 1.5 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)—Triple core
  • AMD Phenom II P860 Processor (2.0 GHZ 1.5 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)-Triple core 25 W (for model 1.2 only)
  • AMD Phenom II N660 Processor 3.0 GHZ 2 MB
  • AMD Phenom II P950 Processor (2.6 GHZ 2 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)-Quad core 25 W
  • AMD Athlon II P360 Discrete Processor 2.3 GHZ 35 W (for model 1.2 only)
  • AMD Champlain V160 Processor (2.4 GHZ 512 MB L2 cache 1066MHz)-Single core 25 W

In the maintenance and service guide I have provided above, you can also find the part number for the heatsink, if in fact that is the issue and you would like to replace it. You can use the HP Part Surfer to find replaceable/compatible parts. 

If any of the information provided resolve the issue, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution" so that other's who have the same issue can find the step's easily. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you.

Don't forget to click the Thumbs Up to show your appreciation. 

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community!
Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

which one is best???

HP Recommended

Hey, 

That is a very tricky question. My personal preferences would be based on my personal needs. However, you can do a little bit of digging and research and see if you can find the one that is best for you based on your needs. 

To help get you started on your research journey, here is a website for you with specifications of different processors that are similar to the one already in your Notebook. Although this site is in no way affiliated with HP, and I cannot guarantee its validity, it may help you make a decision that is best for you: CPU Upgrade

I hope that this helps you!

Take care 🙂

Best of luck. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.