Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp zbook 15 g5
Microsoft Windows 11

hp hotkey uwp service using up all of my ram. I've tried about every solution I could find online, and I'm at a loss.

Please help

hp hotkey uwp service.pnghp hotkey uwp service 2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

HP already has a fix for this issue, please download the fix at the following link and follow the directions.

Update HP Hotkey UWP Service

View solution in original post

77 REPLIES 77
HP Recommended

I had the same exact issue on the same product when I upgraded to Windows 11 yesterday. I had to go back to Windows 10 because it kept crashing my computer. On Windows 10 it barely uses any of my RAM. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a glitch or bug with Windows 11 on the HP Zbook 15?

HP Recommended

It is using 49 GB of my 64 GB. Definitely seems like a memory leak. Please fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I've noticed the same problem here after upgrading to 21H1 today. The problem does not seem to occur where I delay the startup of the HP Hotkey UWP Service.  I'm not sure, if these are proper workarounds but you might try this: 

• Set the startup type of the HP Hotkey UWP Service from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed start). This delays the startup of the services until all the other Services with run type Automatic are launchend. This currently seems to work on my machine, albeit the hotkey functionality isn't available in the first 1-2 Minutes after a reboot. 
  • Set the startup type of the Service to Manual and start the service using a script or idk after login. This could be done automatically using the Windows Task Scheduler, but I did not try this.
HP Recommended

Had the same issue after installing Windows 10 21H2 Optional Update on my ZBook.

I changed the startup of the "HP hotkey uwp service" to Manual and that seems to have temporarily fixed the issue. I hope they come up with a permanent fix. (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services)

HP Recommended

So glad I found this post!  I have the same issue with my ZBook 15 G5.  When I started up the laptop in the morning I first observed that the fan was running rather hard, suggesting lots of CPU usage. I didn't think much of it until my display froze up and I got an "out of memory" message. I rebooted and my display driver was messed up, no longer recognizing my 2 external displays connected via the HP Dock. Checked HP Support for updated display driver, updated the driver, and all seemed well.  But the runaway memory continued after rebooting. That's when I found this post and set the HP Hotkey UWP Service to "Manual". So far, so good.  Hopefully there will be a fix for this so that my hotkeys will work properly again. 

Oh, and I'm still on Windows 10 v21H1, not Windows 11.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with Windows 10 

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎13/‎09/‎2020
OS build 19044.1415
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

High CPU and Memory

I found the following log entry was being written repeatedly:

QuickTouch::RegistryWatcher::StartEventMonitor | Waiterror: 6 

The problem has only occurred when Memory Integrity is turned on in Core Isolation in Device Security.

This setting is on by default in Windows 11. This may explain why Windows 11 Users are seeing it more often. 

HP Recommended

delay the start helps but sometimes it crashes again. 

only change the startup of the "HP hotkey uwp service" to Disabled seems to have temporarily fixed the issue for me.

the hotkeys on the keyboard won't work after this modification.

hope a driver update from HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Go to Device Manager and under controller  Components software ,find the following driver:

HP- LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching and Hot Key Service

See the version of the driver that should be:   8.10.23.1

Then revert to the driver to version 8.10.14.1 

HP Recommended

Thank you, hope HP will solve the problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.