Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream - 11-ak0035nr
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

The initial setup instructions which came in the box with the HP Stream-11-ak0035nr (with Windows 10 in S mode) say to: "Select the network icon... and then connect to one of the available networks." 

However, I do not currently have internet service at home, and I bought this laptop in order to be able to activate new internet service at home.

My question is, is it possible to complete the initial setup for this product without connecting to a WIFI network?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Paul, I followed your very helpful advice: "You may want to post that question on the Microsoft Windows support forum, where folks may have more experience with the various forms of W10."

And I received the following response - which I am posting here for the benefit of those with the same question.

Thank you again for all of your help!  (Sorry for the delay, but I'm still using the internet when I can at a library.)

Robinson Silvestre has replied to your question "Are Windows 10 and Windows 10S initial setup screens the same?"   Microsoft Community.

The Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE) is the same for Windows 10 and Windows 10S.

You can see at this link the Windows 10 OOBE screen details.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

And at this link, you can see a video of the Windows 10 OOBE screen.
https://youtu.be/JZozkgt-Vlo?t=79

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to this Microsoft forum discussion regarding setting up a local account in Windows 10 S, they indicate that it is possible to do so.

W10 S initial setup for local user? - Microsoft Community

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul,

I asked this question mainly because I didn't want to take the chance of beginning the initial set up of the HP Stream11- S mode at home without a WIFI source, and then find that I was unable to complete the initial set up without one .

Because then I would have to stop the initial setup process without being able to properly shut down the laptop, by just closing the lid.  Interrupting initial set up like that could result in having to do a factory reset, right?

(Sorry that it takes me a while to respond - I'm using the internet at a public library.)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is not usually recommended to abruptly shut down a notebook in the middle of a setup routine.

If you must do that, press and hold the power button until the PC shuts down because that allows Windows to properly terminate any processes it is running.

HP Recommended

"If you must do that, press and hold the power button until the PC shuts down because that allows Windows to properly terminate any processes it is running."

- Thank you Paul! That actually happened to me once (interrupting initial set up and having to do a factory reset), which is why I'm being very cautious now.

Also thank you very much for your post yesterday which included a 2017 post from Andre Da Costa which included a link to his article: "How to Setup and Configure a New Windows 10 PC".

- I've gone over his article - which is great because it includes the initial setup screenshots for Windows 10 - and on the lower right of the "Let's connect you to a network" screen there is a "Skip for now" link.

So my only remaining question is - are the initial setup screens for Windows10 the same as for Windows10S?  I've searched for an article with includes setup screens for 10S  but have not been able to find one. I don't know, maybe I can email Andre...

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Unfortunately, that I don't know. 

I would hope that the setup process is the same,  but I can't say for sure. 

You may want to post that question on the Microsoft Windows support forum, where folks may have more experience with the various forms of W10.

I have no experience with W10 S.

HP Recommended

Paul, I followed your very helpful advice: "You may want to post that question on the Microsoft Windows support forum, where folks may have more experience with the various forms of W10."

And I received the following response - which I am posting here for the benefit of those with the same question.

Thank you again for all of your help!  (Sorry for the delay, but I'm still using the internet when I can at a library.)

Robinson Silvestre has replied to your question "Are Windows 10 and Windows 10S initial setup screens the same?"   Microsoft Community.

The Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE) is the same for Windows 10 and Windows 10S.

You can see at this link the Windows 10 OOBE screen details.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

And at this link, you can see a video of the Windows 10 OOBE screen.
https://youtu.be/JZozkgt-Vlo?t=79

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.