Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have obviously done some changes with a result that the numeric keypad will not function and I cannot remember how to activate them. help please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @frederickw1, 

Welcome to the Forums!

I understand that the Number Pad is not working. You had mentioned that you changed some things. I am here to help! I have also changed settings before and lost the use of my Number pad. Here are some steps below that may help. 🙂

Please make sure that the NumLock button has been pressed so that the button lights up on your keyboard indicating it is functioning.

Please start your computer in Safe Mode. Does the Number Pad work in Safe Mode?

If the keypad works fine in safe mode, then I would suggest you do a Clean boot to see if another program is blocking the use of the Keypad (How to perform a clean boot in Windows). 

• Right click the start button
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Go to Ease of Access
  • Click Change how your keyboard works
  • Take the checks out of the Turn on Toggle Keys box. (This should stop your Notebook from beeping when you push the Num Lock key).
  • Press OK. 

If there is a check beside Mouse keys:

• Take it out. 
  • Press OK. 
  • Test the Number pad. 

If there is NOT a check beside Mouse keys:

• Please check the box 
  • Press OK. 
  • Test the Number pad. 

Here is a document you can try troubleshooting steps from called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

f you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thanks for joining in! 

Looking forward to your response. 

Have a great day! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey @frederickw1, 

Welcome to the Forums!

I understand that the Number Pad is not working. You had mentioned that you changed some things. I am here to help! I have also changed settings before and lost the use of my Number pad. Here are some steps below that may help. 🙂

Please make sure that the NumLock button has been pressed so that the button lights up on your keyboard indicating it is functioning.

Please start your computer in Safe Mode. Does the Number Pad work in Safe Mode?

If the keypad works fine in safe mode, then I would suggest you do a Clean boot to see if another program is blocking the use of the Keypad (How to perform a clean boot in Windows). 

• Right click the start button
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Go to Ease of Access
  • Click Change how your keyboard works
  • Take the checks out of the Turn on Toggle Keys box. (This should stop your Notebook from beeping when you push the Num Lock key).
  • Press OK. 

If there is a check beside Mouse keys:

• Take it out. 
  • Press OK. 
  • Test the Number pad. 

If there is NOT a check beside Mouse keys:

• Please check the box 
  • Press OK. 
  • Test the Number pad. 

Here is a document you can try troubleshooting steps from called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

f you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thanks for joining in! 

Looking forward to your response. 

Have a great day! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Good evening,

My numerical keypad does not work properly, only the middle row (numbers 456) and 0 function out of the ten. I have tried following the advice above and several other things as well to no avail.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Emilly

HP Recommended

than you for your help

kevin

HP Recommended

I have a very similar problem - the righthand column (asterisk, 9, 6, 1, and decimal point keys) does not work. All other keys on the numeric keypad work fine.

HP Recommended

@JohnF-L If you've turned off the mouse keys and ensured the number lock is turned off, yet the issue persists, here's what you need to ask yourself: 

Did you drop liquid or have any accidents with the keyboard?

Did you check with an alternate user account or an external keyboard to check if all the keys on that work?

I recommend the below steps:

Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 

Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds

Replace the battery, restart the notebook,

if the issue persists, change the keyboard layout and check if it works: Click here for steps.

Also, run a hardware test to identify any issues with the keyboard: Click here for details (Interactive test) under component tests - keyboard.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

And Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  That fixed my problem

HP Recommended

@VPNOTARYSVC That's awesome, which post are you referring to? Let the community know, so it can help others as well 🙂

Take care

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.