04-20-2011 03:09 PM
I absolutely love my HP laptop but I am a bit worried. When my wrist touches the front left corner I get electric shocks. My daughter who is 5 yeard old was shocked as well when she put her hand on the same place. It only hurts a little bit- is this dangerous?
Also, there are times when the computer gets so hot I dont think it is normal. I don't know if these two things are connected. It is not hot right now but I am still getting electric shocks if I run my wrist over the corner.
I really need my computer for university.
04-20-2011 03:24 PM
I would strongly recommend to stop using your notebook straight away - it's simply not worth the risk. If your notebook is under warranty, contact HP immediately to have this repaired under warranty. You can contact HP Here. If you are not in the USA, let me know and I'll post a link for your country.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Windows Insider MVP
05-05-2011 06:19 PM
I've been having the same problem. Unfortunetely my laptop is now out of warranty so HP won't help with this without a fee. The shocks are mild, so I continue to use my laptop. I've looked around the internet and it looks like this problem is a bit common amongst the HP pavilion laptops, (I have the pavilion dv6). I only seems to happen while the laptop is connected to ac power. If you still have a valid warranty on your laptop I suggest going to HP tech support to see if they've found a solution to this.
12-13-2012 03:55 AM
If the shock persistence, I suggest check the wall outlet, make sure the wire connection are tight, especially the earth ( Green) wire and all the link. I have this experience, when I check the wall outlet, the green wire is not connected
06-12-2013 05:47 AM
I bought my HP Envy dv6 laptop less than a week ago and it is already giving me the same (little electric shocks at the palm rest, when I plug in the charger) problem! My Belkin Surge Protector's green light is ON - this means there is no earthing/ green wire issue here.
I also have a 7 year old HP pavilion dv6000 notebook but it only started giving similar problem after 6 years of flawless performance! I have called the Customer Service Helpline and a Service Engineer from an outsourced agency hired by HP India is going to visit my place in 3 to 4 days. Hope he will be able to fix it, but ITS DISAPPOINTING to see that a brand new notebook is giving problems!
Has HP's product quality deteriorated in last few years...am I suffering because of the blind "customer loyalty" factor I developed over last few years? Guess I should have gone for another brand this time but no other company could match cofigration of dv6-7206TX at this price.
Time for HP to pull up their socks.
05-07-2016 07:56 AM
First I confirmed that I was the source of electric static. I believe the static was due to a man-made flannel lining in my leggings.
Next I rubbed regular lotion on my hands.
Finally a family member rubbed my clothing with a metal clothing and shoes with a clothing hanger. Voila! No more static. I am now using my laptop just fine.
So try backtracking the clothing you wore when the static occurred. Dryer sheets reduce static in clothing. The hand lotion creates a barrier between you and the laptop so that's only for immediate help. Your clothing still needs to be demagnetized.
As suggested by others - check your electrical connections at each and every connection point, your surge protector, and you wall electrical sockets.
Do not demagnatize your laptop or you could erase your hard drive.
The reason to send your laptop to HP is so that HP can safely demagnatize your laptop.
If your laptop is out of warranty, a local computer store can demagnatize your laptop and -- your fee can help boost your local economy. If your laptop is under warranty -- HP is your best option.
I know this is an old Discussion Board. The reason I made this update is because people are buying used HP Envy maybe cause of the static. Maybe you got a great deal but are experiencing the same problem.
Now for my soapbox speech. Read at your pleasure:
I purchased my HP Envy about a year and 3 months ago. The biggest issues I have had are that the backlghting on the screen triggers migraine headaches if I use it under certain conditions. Another problem is that no matter what settings I change, the mousepad is so large that the cursor jumps around erasing what is on the screen. I suspect the laptop is reading my static as a touch.
I had to modify my lifestyle to use the laptop and hope to buy a new laptop -- not an HP soon. While a million other people are using HP laptops -- I worry for the little kids using these painful laptops. The static is painful. The migrane sent me to the Emergency Room. I lost entire documents before I learned to use the Ctrl-Z to under the erasure. There should be a recall on laptops like on cars. Don't get me started on the printers.
I have an older HP Pavillion Laptop and have never had a static problem. I believe HP Laptops have more than one design flaw and HP has lost me as a loyal customer because they blame the victims (oops customer) when the customer leaves negative feedback. HP may fix the design flaws in its newer laptops but it has lost me as a loyal brand customer of almost 20 years. I have other laptops and the family has other brands and they never have static issues and I never had static issues even wearing the same clothing.
HP will stay in business. I have no doubt about that. Why? Because Best Buy and other big box stores market its laptops at entry level prices. Once we buy a new laptop - we believe any issues are "user error." We don't stop to think about product design. HP should let me test its product before it goes to market so that it knows in advance what the issues will be and already has solutions planned and online. HP has improved its customer service -- which used to be zero -- and for that improvement, I am thankful.
I hope you found this recommendation for "little electric shocks" helpful.
07-08-2016 11:47 AM
I am also experiencing the little electrical "shocks". WTH? I am using an old table with a metal/tin top (one of those old porcelain coated ones).
This is not good and I am not sure how long my warranty is for. Either way, I would consider electrical shocks more in the land of "recall" rather than warranty.
HP, what do you have to say?
04-28-2017 07:37 PM
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.