Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased an HP envy laptop (model m6 n-012dx) and the cursor on my screen will intermitently become erratic, very jumpy. It will start moving all over the screen, or jitter back and forth, and even minimize pages or open pages and links beyond my control. This happens even with my fingers off of the touchpad, so I know it is not a sensitivity issue. When I do attempt to take control of the crazy cursor it is pretty much inresponsive to my attempts.  Basically the cursor becomes possessed. This happens intermittently though (and when it occurs it lasts at least a couple minutes at a time), so I haven't been able to pin-point what triggers this behavior. My touchpad driver is up to date and all of my other drivers are up to date, so I know it's not an issue there. Oh, and I'm using Windows 8.1. A temporary solution I have noticed is that by doing a hard reset it fixes the problem until the next occurrence. But I don't want to have to keep going to this solution, considering this happens pretty much daily at some point or another. Any ideas/suggestions out there? Am I alone in this issue? It is very annoying. Cursing at the cursor. I would be very appreciative of any advice. 

Also, a side note: I am living in Guatemala for most of the rest of this year (this is where I am right now) and so returning the laptop to Bestbuy isn't really an option. That would have been my big solution. Thank you in advance!  

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi Jefferson5436,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on the HP ENVY m6 Notebook and the TouchPad jerking while you are trying to use it. Here is a link to troubleshoot the Touchpad. if you will go to the section on Adjusting TouchPad  sensitivities it should help resolve the issue.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, but this suggestion does not work. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my post, it is not a sensitivity issue because this happens even without touching the touchpad. I tried it anyway, just to be sure but the problem persists. In other words, the cursor becomes jumpy and erratic even without touching the touchpad. Put differently, the issue is not that the touchpad is being too sensitive to my touch, it is just that the cursor begins to move by itself and moves all over the place also opening/clsoing/minimizing windiows and tabs, all without touching the touchpad. This happens intermittently and lasts for about a minute or two when it happens. 

I have run anti-virus software several times and there does not appear to be any virus issues either. I appreciate your suggestion to adjust the touchpad sensitivity, but in this case something else seems to be going on so a different solution is needed. Other ideas? 

HP Recommended

Hi Jefferson5436,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions click here.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, I will do so.

HP Recommended

I just bought my HP Envy m6 in late April and I have the exact same problem. I contacted support and they did something where they took over my computer and checked a bunch of things including the driver for the touchpad. It didn't really solve it. I have video I took of my cursor doing its dance. I have noticed it does it especially when I've left a window open for a while (not necessarily an internet window - it can be just a Word doc). Sometimes using a mouse helps but the cursor will get "possessed" like you described. I don't have to be anywhere near the computer - it bounces all over the screen and if I try click anything it won't respond. The best fix is to restart the computer which is very bothersome. I'm ready to ask for a replacement with a different product if I can't get this remedied.

HP Recommended

Hi Cahudson,

Have you tried the troubleshooting in the previous document? Did this just start to happen?

You can do a system restore. System restore resets the settings on the Notebook.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

It happened from the first week I had the computer. The support people did a system restore and did things with the drivers. Clearly, from the many threads I have seen on the internet, this is a problem for many people.

HP Recommended

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions click here.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello!

Did you ever receive a solution? I posted the same problem several days ago and have had 0 responses/suggestions. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.