Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, i am new user to windows after having been with a macbook for several years. i am still trying to get used to this pc. my first question is about accessing an extrernal hard drive. upon plugging in a 1TB hard drive that has a lot of files and backups from my old macbook, my pc didnt let me access the drive. a lot of videos off the internet started to confuse me by telling me to make some changes through disk manager to either shrink volume from my hard drive or change the letter assigned. 

since this is all new to me, i'm not quite sure of what to do and dont want to do anything yet.

now when plugging in my hard drive it asks me to format it in order to use it. is there a way of accessing all my old data from it without having to format.

my other question is about transferring files from my old macbook. how can i open some apps that i transferred or files, as most of them when opened on my PC are now just folders with many files that are blank. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MikeyAllam wrote:

... now when plugging in my hard drive it asks me to format it in order to use it. is there a way of accessing all my old data from it without having to format...

@MikeyAllam 

Mac file system and Windows file system are not the same specially on portable HDD's. Please use the following way

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/read-mac-drive-windows-free-3369574/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MikeyAllam wrote:

... now when plugging in my hard drive it asks me to format it in order to use it. is there a way of accessing all my old data from it without having to format...

@MikeyAllam 

Mac file system and Windows file system are not the same specially on portable HDD's. Please use the following way

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/read-mac-drive-windows-free-3369574/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.