Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV7-1260us entertainment notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was looking on HP support for software and drivers for my HP Pavilion DV7-1260us Entertainment Notebook PC. There is no listing for it. When I put the S/N in, the next page asks for the P/N. When I enter that, the product can not be found. I checked under warranty and it was found but of course it is well out of warranty.  Where can I find it ?  As I may be replacing the MB, upgrading the ram and maybe upgrading the CPU.  I will post the S/N and P/N if needed when I get home this afternoon.  I purchased this laptop new.

Marty

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@harleyskiguy52 

First off, these models came out in 2009, so you're talking about a PC that is going on 11 years old -- and HP does not provide active support that long. This is why there are no current support pages for it.

Second, I would strong advise AGAINST replacing the motherboard.  Why? 

There is the question of custom fit to the case and its openings for jacks.  Each laptop model is different, and different motherboard is going to have jacks and connectors in different locations.  This is totally unlike the I/O plate on a tower PC that can be easily replaced.  You would have to perform surgery on the case to get different motherboards to fit.

There is then the question of power.  Different model laptop require different amounts of power and those charges often have different plugs as a result.  You would have to buy the specific charged rated for the laptop containing the different motherboard and with the right connector for the power port.

There is then the issue that you won't find NEW motherboards for laptops, only used ones -- and from what I've seen on posts about these, there is no guarantee that a particular one does not have hardware issues, let alone work.  And then, you have to track down HP drivers for the replacement motherboard, and HP does not classify drivers that way; instead, it does that by model PC.

This is a LOT of work for little gain -- and you would be better off looking for a refurbished laptop, as those will work and often come with warranties, even if they are only 30 days.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.