Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-db1246ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Proper installation order of drivers on AMD-driven notebook

Product number: 22P74EA

Product: HP Notebook 15-db1246ur

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit) 1903

I am installing the Windows 10 on to a HP Notebook 15-db1246ur. I have reached the step where I need to install the required drivers. I have downloaded all the driver categories from the page

https://support.hp.com/ru-ru/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-db1000-laptop-pc/26210240/model/38666988

Can you please clarify the following issues:

1. This is no driver for an AMD chipset. Has it been a lapse on the part of HP to include it or is its functionality delivered by another component? Is it due to the fact that this is an AMD-run machine as opposed to Intel-run machines which are provided with the chipset driver?
  2. Should I proceed to install the drivers according to the HP list (first, BIOS; second, Diagnosic, etc.)? Would you please make a proper itemized list of the sequence of the driver installation for my notebook?

Thank you kindly for your response.  It is appreciated.

Sergei

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Sergei:

For some reason, HP does not include the AMD chipset drivers for any of their AMD notebooks.

If you want the chipset driver, you have to get it from AMD.

For your model, you would use this one and you should install it first and restart the PC before proceeding to install the rest of the drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset

Next, install the graphics driver and restart the PC, followed by the audio driver, and restart the PC.

Then you can install the rest of the drivers in whatever order you want.

I wouldn't update the BIOS unless there is something that is critical.

I would also do that well after your notebook is up and running with all of the drivers installed, so you can see how it is performing before you decide to update the BIOS.

If you update the BIOS, make sure the notebook is plugged into a power source and the battery is more than 50% charged.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi, Sergei:

For some reason, HP does not include the AMD chipset drivers for any of their AMD notebooks.

If you want the chipset driver, you have to get it from AMD.

For your model, you would use this one and you should install it first and restart the PC before proceeding to install the rest of the drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset

Next, install the graphics driver and restart the PC, followed by the audio driver, and restart the PC.

Then you can install the rest of the drivers in whatever order you want.

I wouldn't update the BIOS unless there is something that is critical.

I would also do that well after your notebook is up and running with all of the drivers installed, so you can see how it is performing before you decide to update the BIOS.

If you update the BIOS, make sure the notebook is plugged into a power source and the battery is more than 50% charged.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul, for your detailed answer. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Sergei.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I would appreciate it if you could provide guidance on the following questions

QUESTION 1)  

Am I correct in thinking that it is an update for the SATA controller and should be installed after the chipset driver?

Is this order of driver installation acceptable?

1.  DRIVER—AMD Chipset Driver

RESTART

1. DRIVER—FIRMWARE Micron 1100 Non-SED SSD Firmware Update

RESTART

1. DRIVER— AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

RESTART

1. DRIVER— Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

RESTART

1. DRIVER—Network
  2. DRIVER—Storage
  3. DRIVERKeyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  4. DIAGNOSTIC
  5. OPERATING SYSTEM-Enhancements and QFEs
  6. SOFTWARE- HP Audio Switch Software Update  
  7. SOFTWARE-Solutions
  8. UTILITY-Tools

RESTART

QUESTION 2)  

In the category Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices there are two drivers with the same name

Synaptics TouchPad Driver (Windows 10 V1903)
Synaptics TouchPad Driver-Comet Lake

but with different endings. Which one should I choose or both?

QUESTION 3)  

In the category Network there are two INTEL drivers 

Intel Bluetooth Driver (Windows 10 UWP)
Intel WLAN Driver

Should I install them? The  specifications say that my machine runs on Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo; so probably the remaining three drivers will suffice

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver (Windows 10 v1903)
Realtek RTL8xxx Series Bluetooth Driver (Windows 10)
Realtek RTL8xxx Wireless LAN Drivers

Once again, thank you for your response

Sergei

HP Recommended

Hi, Sergei:

Installing the SATA Controller driver after you install the chipset driver should be fine if it is a newer date than the chipset driver from AMD.

I would do the SSD firmware update later on in the process, like maybe last, and your notebook has to have that model SSD in order to install that update.

Touchpad...install the v1903 driver.   The comet lake driver is for notebooks with the Intel processors.

If your notebook has the Realtek wifi adapter, you do not need the Intel wifi or bluetooth drivers.

You would install the Realtek wifi and bluetooth drivers.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. You have been of great help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended
Hello again,

May I try your patience for a little bit longer and request your expert opinion upon the following issues:

The Diagnostics category comprises three files:
1. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI
2. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows 1.6.7.0 Rev.A  83.8 MB  Oct 6, 2020 
3. HP Windows Hardware Diagnostics       1.6.6.0 Rev.A  84.3 MB  Aug17, 2020

Is my machine BIOS-based? If it is, the first file is not needed, is it not?

As for the other two files, they look like different versions of the same software so, probably, I need to install the latest file. Please confirm my understanding.

Thank you again
HP Recommended

Hi:

The UEFI diagnostics works by using the ESC & then press the F2 key when you first turn on the PC.

That would work for example, if the hard drive failed.  You could run a test in the BIOS, so you can install that update.

I agree with you that the  HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows 1.6.7.0 Rev.A  83.8 MB  Oct 6, 2020 , would be the latest Windows version to install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.