Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-ep0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. I'm writing here to point out a problem which affects the thermal management of the new Envy 15 ep0xxx laptop series.

Let's start with my personal unit configuration:

• Model: HP Envy 15-ep0003nl (Intel® Core™ i7-10750H, 16GB, GTX 1660Ti, 1TB)
  • SO: Windows 10 Home, 10.0.18363 Build 18363
  • BIOS: AMI F.01 16/04/2020
  • HP Command Center version: 1.6.15.0

The issue consists in a wrong behaviour of the "Thermal Profile" functionality provided by the HP Command Center app. In particular, the "Quiet" mode is actually louder than the "Performance" mode.

Moreover, the Quiet mode slider is working bad: it is making the fan speed higher when set to "silent", and viceversa.

This issue happens often with the laptop on AC power, and it is independent from the power plan settings of Windows 10 and from the power slider position under the battery options of Windows 10.

You can reproduce the problem as follows:

1. Use your laptop connected to AC for about 15 min (until it is normally warm);
  2. Go into HP Command Center - Thermal Profile and try switching between Quiet mode and Performance mode;
  3. Note that, in Quiet mode, fans never stop and the laptop is actually louder than in Performance mode.

I made a video to make you better understand the problem. Check it out. The terms translation is:

• Predefinito - Default
  • Prestazioni - Performance
  • Raffreddamento - Cool
  • Rumore - Quiet 

You will see that Quiet mode is much louder than Performance and Default modes, and that no one of the profiles makes the laptop really quiet.

I am not the only user experiencing this problem. I created a dedicated Reddit post which grouped some people having the same issue and made us understand that this is a common problem bothering at least the new Envy 15 ep0xxx laptop series.

I sincerely hope that this issue will be aknowledged by HP and it will be fixed as soon as possible. We, as users, expect a solution which gives us a quiet profile that makes the laptop really quiet, at the expenses of overall performance and temperature.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I also have this issue to a degree. When running a game the quietest option is indeed quieter than performance as intended, however in idle or low usage states the quiet profile is in fact the loudest profile. 
I really hope HP fix this as I don’t want to sit in class or in the library on ‘quiet mode’ and disturb others, similarly I don’t want to put it in performance mode in case it decided to ramp up like a jet engine if command center detects higher usage. 

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for participating to this discussion! I definitely agree with you. We should investigate on nVidia drivers; I'm starting thinking that they may be involved in this problem, since a user on Reddit does not experience this problem with the RTX2060 configuration. I will reply if I have any finding.

HP Recommended

Hi Seancanucks! I can confirm your finding! The quietest option works as intended when running a game with the discrete GPU: it will throttle the system and heavily slows down the fans. Since a user said that he does not experience any problem with the RTX2060 configuration, it could be an incompatibility with the nVidia driver. I tried both  Studio driver and GameReady drivers, but the results are always the same. Looking for suggestions.

Edit: I tried to run Chrome with nVidia graphics card. The Quiet mode makes the fans start spinning, while the Default and Performance modes make the fan stop and the laptop to be quiet while browsing the Web

Therefore, I'm assuming that the Quiet mode never stops the fan, while it works good when the laptop faces a high load.

Still looking for suggestions/fix.

HP Recommended

Let me add further considerations: the "Always on fan" setting in the BIOS is set to "off". The laptop is perfectly quiet when it's on battery and I would like to have such a behaviour in AC, too.

HP Recommended

I don't actually own this device to test it out but I have brought this up to some HP employees so that we can hopefully get this fixed.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi Eddy,

I sincerely thank you very much for your attention and your help.

The envy 15 is going to be a top-tier product if this issue is solved!

Regards,

Nicola

HP Recommended

I have the model with the GTX 1660 Ti and I've also noticed that Quiet mode is the loudest when the laptop is powered by AC and the sliders for manual adjustment are inverted. I can also confirm it seems to work as expected when gaming though, I'm running v1.6.0.0 of Command Centre.  Hopefully this is a reasonably easy fix to Command Centre 🤞

HP Recommended

I've also noticed that when you unplug the Envy 15 the battery power battery icon jumps toward performance but when plugged in, it moves toward toward power consumption. This is reversed behavior like the Quiet setting. 

HP Recommended

Hi guys! 

I got in touch with hp support (Italy) on July, and after days and days of emails I had the opportunity to talk with the 2nd level support. Unfortunately, after explaining a lot of times the issue and sending a huge report (made with an HP proper software that they sent to me) twice, after 2 months they ended up letting me the chance to send my PC for repair.

This was so disappointing for me, because despite the kindness of the HP support people, it was impossible to give a feedback on a (clearly it is) software issue. I obviously refused to send my PC for a repair and told them again that this is a software issue and that they could read about it also in this topic and in the Reddit one.

Ending up, I actually don't know how to proceed, and @EddyK and these topics are my only hope.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.