Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0068wm
Microsoft Windows 11

I upgraded to Windows 11. First, let me say, the system runs like a pig now! At least 75% slower. That's not my main problem.

When I try to install any application outside of the Microsoft application store, the error I get is "the app you're trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app." The prompts are "get apps from store" and "change my app recommendation settings." I click on settings and it brings me to settings. That's it. Nowhere to change the settings.

I found many docs on the internet that claim to have solutions for this problem. They all say go to the settings screen and change the settings. The problem is, their screen doesn't look like my screen!

Help!!!

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Turnstile 

I don't know what your Settings screen looks like - so we are even on that side.

Windows 11

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

top selection >> "Choose where to get apps" >>>>

Drop down menu choices

Anywhere, but let me know...

or

Anywhere, but warn me...

or

The Microsoft Store only...

Choose the first option - "Anywhere, but let me know"...

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0068wm 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You say top selection >> "Choose where to get apps" >>>>

The problem is, I don't have that selection. I have:

Share across devices

More Settings

- App execution alias

- Archive apps

App list

-Apps-

HP Recommended

When I run winver it shows i have Windows 11 version 21H2 (OS Build 22000 434)

Everything was working fine until I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10.

HP Recommended

After some more searches, I discovered that the upgrade set me up as a standard user by default. That's why I couldn't see what you were suggesting. I logged in as administrator, gave myself administrator rights and fixed the problem.

Thank you!

Peter

HP Recommended

@PeterSh1 

Interesting.

We have installed / upgraded a few systems to Windows 11 - I would never expect the account userID to be changed to a standard user type.

Seems odd.  That said, maybe this is a common - and rather alarming - response to the upgrade process.

Thanks for posting back - the information is sure to help someone else.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.