Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HELP!!

I spilled some Mike's Hard Lemonade on my HP G6 keyboard last night. I immediately turned it on it's left side (in the direction of the spilled-on keys so as not to spread the mess) and dried it off with paper towels. Now, this morning, the F, G, and Backspace keys aren't working. Nothing happens when I press them. I don't feel any "stickiness" when I press the keys and everything seems to be dry now. I've watched some YouTube videos on how to REPLACE the keyboard but I'm wondering if I should take the keyboard off as is shown in the videos and just clean it or something. I'm afraid to take it apart and ruin it (it's only 6 months old!!) or make the warranty invalid but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hey PhancyNancy, 

I'm so sorry to hear you had a spill! It's always a terrible "stomach in your throat" feeling. 

You may be able to take it apart and clean it without voiding the warranty. I'll need to know your full product number to know whether the keyboard on that particular model is considered "customer replaceable" (in other words, can you remove it and put it back on even just to clean it, without voiding the warranty). You can find your product number on the bottom. It could be abbreviated 'P/N'. 

Hopefully it is only your keyboard that is affected. It's tough with spills because you can always see the effects that spills have on some components in the computer and they may not fail immediately, but could fail in the future. You did the right thing though by putting it on its side. Let me know your product number and I can give you lots more information on part numbers and replacement procedures if the keyboard is "customer replaceable". 🙂

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  Can you tell Me where to find the abbreviated P/N?   I need to get the keyboard fixed due to liquid spill or replace it.  Some number keys on the pad isnt working, as well as the enter key, shift key, up and down arrow keys, back lash key, and backspace key on the right side are not working. 

HP Recommended

@InezMarie 

Sure! I'm sorry to hear you had a liquid spill! Those are the worst! 

You can find your Product Number on an HP label on the bottom of the computer. It may not have the words "Product Number" spelled out, but instead it will be abbreviated "P/N". 

Also need to know, if you bought it outside the U.S., what country did you buy it in? There are different keyboard part numbers for each country the computer can be sold in.

Once I have your Product Number and country if outside the U.S., I'll provide you with the keyboard part number and a link to the Maintenance and Service Guide (if available) for instructions on replacing the keyboard. 

I'll keep any eye out for your reply 🙂

HP Recommended

P/N C2N5OUA ABA purchased in the US.  The enter key and the backspace key worked a couple times today.  Then stopped.  They really should make a spill proof keyboard for gods sake!!

HP Recommended

I called HP Tech Support this morning in  order to gain information on how to remove the keyboard and I got a lot of scripted BS.  The keyboard is not detachable and to send it in to be repaired without knowing what the cost is going to be but it might be from anywhere to 150 to 250 to repair. 

I do not feel like having my laptop taken hostage and charged a ridiculous fee to get it back. Now quite a few keys are acting up when in the beginning it was only 3 to 4 essential keys not working.  Iam going to have tofigure out how to fix this myself.  It took me a long time to type this paragraph.  Longer than I am comfortable with being the fast typer that I am. :HalfEyes:

The keys seem to work (sometimes) when I open up notepad, new text document, type out a paragraph, cut and paste it onto the email or whatever I need to be typing. Very annoying and why this is happening I do not know but I am concluding that HP is a inferior product. 

HP Recommended

There are computers that claim to be spill-proof out there, but the fact is you can't expect to be able to pour any type of liquid onto a circuit board or a case surrounding a circuit board and expect it to work for much longer. Liquid spills are the most unfortunate problems I come across because it happens so quickly and it's almost always 100% preventable, by not having liquids near the unit, but we all do it.

In almost all cases, eventually the liquid soaks in and eats away at the motherboard, if it isn't an immediate total loss. It's a matter of opinion if HP is an inferior product for other reasons, but no electronic device tolerates liquid. The following image came from this link.

WaterDamage.jpg

Here is your Maintenance and Service Guide.

- Removal begins at the bottom of page 52.

- The keyboard part number is listed on page 51. The U.S. keyboard part number is 699497-001

You can get the keyboard from the HP Parts Store or you can search for it on Google. Of course, I cannot guarantee the quality of the product or service from any 3rd party sellers. Understand 3rd party return policies before purchasing from them, if you decide to purchase from them. 

If you have any questions, let me know.

HP Recommended

First and and foremost, I do not think ANYONE is "pouring" liquids onto thier computers.  Accidents happen.   I will replace the keyboard but not at  an extravagant expense or I will buy another laptop and it won't be a HP based on poor customer service. 

HP Recommended

Absolutely! 🙂 Accidents happen. I've been there before myself. I'm the clumsiest person I know. I think the word "pouring" was misunderstood. Liquid spills are never intentional. That is commonly understood. As I touched on in my previous post, I have an especially heavy heart for anyone that has had a liquid spill because it just happens so quickly and it's always just a simple accident and nearly 100% of the time it is completely preventable. I always hate to hear that someone has had this happen.

The terminology is not the point here though. Whether it is "pouring", "spilling", "submerging", or "sprinkling" any type of liquid onto an electronic - this could be a phone, a mouse, a radio, or especially a computer - shorted circuits and corrosion are going to cause the device not to work. 

I write technical forum posts all day long so I try to have variation in the verbs that I use to avoid redundancy.

HP Recommended

I am aware of what liquid does to computers. I have purchased a Dell laptop. There was no way I was going to pay HP technical support 250 to fix the keyboard.  I also had an issue with the hard drive crashing three months after purchase.  It was also in a constant state of self repair.   Any, I am happy with My dell.  Will not be purchasing anymore HP computer products due to poor customer service and faulty equipmen, minus the liquid spill which was My fault.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.