Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp omen gaming laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

3 days ago I noticed that I can't jump while sprinting in games (sprint: Shift --- jump: Space). at first i thought that the problem is related to the game I was playing. but, after reinstalling the game and trying different games i realized that the issue is not related to the games i play. so I tried to use space while typing and holding shift to type in capital letters and space key didn't work. however, space key works perfectly when i'm not holding the shift key down. which makes me believe that it's not a hardware problem. so i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers but it didn't solve the problem. so i desperatly contacted microsoft regarding this problem and i granted 4 techs in microsoft access to my laptop to try to solve the problem but they couldn't solve it.

please i need help in solving this problem. I have a gaming laptop that i can no loner play games using it due to this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks for suggesting some solutions Raj1788. Unfortunately gaming settings are completely fine and didn’t solve my problem.
But i have found the way to fix this problem and i’m gonna write it down here to help anyone with a similar problem.

For me, I fixed it by opening the laptop and cleaning it from the inside. I took the cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard and cleaned it very well then I reconnected it then the problem disappeared. The laptop was very dusty from the inside specially the keyboard’s cable. And that’s probably because my desk is very close to the window and sometimes I leave the window opened for the whole day.

It’s very strange that such a thing can cause such a problem to the laptop.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@TwizzOnFire,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that the Keyboard combination with Shift and space is not working, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you try with an external keyboard?

Has anything changed on the laptop since yesterday?  

Has any kind of liquid spilled on the laptop?

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Let's perform a How to Power Reset your Laptop using this link: https://hp.care/2FDuuWg

Then, we need to check in the command prompt outside of windows to see if all the keyboard characters work correctly to isolate the issue correctly to a hardware or software failure.

Steps to do it:

· Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.  

· It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”  

· Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.  

· If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager. 

If the issue persists, Use this link: https://hp.care/2JGAhvs for HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting 

Keep me posted, how it goes! However, I'll try and follow up in next 24 to 48 hours to doublecheck on the issue.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788,

thank you for writing back to me.

First of all, I would like to tell you more about my problem. Then, I'm goning to answer the questions you mentioned.

the problem is divided to 2 parts (left shift and right shift). 

Left shift (as i mentioned before): I can't use the space key while holding the left shift key down. However, there're some letters that i can use them with the left shift key + space key and they will work fine.

example:-

Left Shift + Space = Space doesn't work

Left Shift + A  + Space = all keys work

Left Shift + W + Space = Space doesn't work

so, as you can see. When some letters are held down with left shift key they cause the space key to work. but, when other letters like w and some other letters are held down with left shift they cause the space key to stop working. and of course left shift key + space alone cause the space key to stop working.

Right Shift: the combination of right shift key and space key works perfectly. However, combing right shift key with some specific letters cause the *letters* to stop working.

example:-

Right Shift + Space = Space key works

Right Shift + W = W doesn't work (I can't type W letter in capital using right shift i have to use the left shift key)

Right Shift + A = A works (I can type A letter in capital using right shift)

as you can see, left shift and right shift keys are both related to the problem.  the letters that cause space key to stop working while using left shift key can't be typed in capital letters using right shift key. they can only be typed in capital letters using left shift key and vise versa.

It's almost like that the keyboard is divided to 2 parts. one part of keys work completly fine with left shift key and the other part  work completly fine with right shift key.

so, after giving specific details about the problem I'll reply to your messege.

1- No, I haven't tried an external keyboard. I don't have an external keyboard. I'm studying abroad and all of my stuff are in my house back in my home country.

2- nothing changed in the laptop.However, I heard a couple of beeb sounds that came from my laptop about 1 day before the problem started. after that i haven't heard anything.

3- No, no liquids were spilled on my laptop. it's always on my desk and i don't take it out of my apartment. So, I don't believe that some liquids got into my laptop in any case.

4- I haven't made any changes.

I have already did the hard reset as it's instructed in the hp support assistant tool and I tried a lot of the suggested solutions mentioned in the hp support assistant tool.

the keyboard works with the problem in the command promt outside of windows (keys work the same way as what i explained in my problem explaintion).

I visited the link you mentioned (https://hp.care/2JGAhvs ) and I went through all the instructions including (Hp Pc hardware diagnostics which gave me a "pass" result. also i went to settings>ease of access and i made sure that sticky keys are off)

yesterday i performed a reset (from setting>update and security>recovery) and it didn't solve the problem.

I mentioned in the original post that i reinstalled the keyboard drivers manually and it didn't solve the problem. and today I used the recovery manager tool from Hp to restore the original dirvers that came with the laptop and still it didn't solve the problem.

I'm looking forward to read your reply.

Have a good day!

HP Recommended

@TwizzOnFire,

Thanks for the reply,

I see that the Keyboard is working fine in the command prompt, Which clearly says that the hardware functionality of the keyboard is working fine.

I suggest check gaming settings and that should fix the issue.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Thanks for suggesting some solutions Raj1788. Unfortunately gaming settings are completely fine and didn’t solve my problem.
But i have found the way to fix this problem and i’m gonna write it down here to help anyone with a similar problem.

For me, I fixed it by opening the laptop and cleaning it from the inside. I took the cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard and cleaned it very well then I reconnected it then the problem disappeared. The laptop was very dusty from the inside specially the keyboard’s cable. And that’s probably because my desk is very close to the window and sometimes I leave the window opened for the whole day.

It’s very strange that such a thing can cause such a problem to the laptop.
HP Recommended

@TwizzOnFire,

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The G,H and the backspace button don't work at all. I seen what u wrote and did with ur computer do u think I should do the same thing? Let me know what you think

HP Recommended

The G,H and the backspace button don't work at all. I seen what u wrote and did with ur computer do u think I should do the same thing? Let me know what you think

HP Recommended

Hello Clawbeezy. 

Do as what the hp support agent suggested above. Try to know the cause of the issue if it's hardware or software. In my case it was hardware. If you are sure your issue is caused by hardware. Then I suggest you try to take a look inside your computer and clean it. If you goning to do this. Try googling first how to clean your computer. You should know what kind of things u need to have for cleaning and read all the warnings and don't try to touch any transistor using your bare hands. It's your responsibility if anything gone wrong. If you're not experienced enough. Just take it to a computer service. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.