Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Tablet Elitebook 810G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

During this weekend (Sunday January 19, 2020), my machine started to develop a **bleep** weird problem: incredible response times of the GUI (4 seconds for the taskbar to disappear). The cpu used ressources were  less than 20%, but, under Task Manager or Russinovich's Process Explorer , I saw a 90 to 100% increase of the   "GPU 3D" ressources. The "culprit" is seen as  the window manager (dwm). The cpu clock frequency measured by "WhySoSlow" does not exceed 500 MHz (for a processor clocked at 2.6 GHz)

Hardware configuration:

HP tablet 810 G3, i7 processor, 12 GB of ram, 500 GB of SSD, Intel HD5500 chipset video card, Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363.592, all patches applied, and a whole collection of anti-virus and anti-spyware software have been used to detect any abnormal activity. No exotic software, no pirated license (shoud I precise :-))), no visit to "border line" web sites.

Undertaken Actions :

- return to a previous restore point (no effect)

- use of SFC and DISM tools (no effect)

- reinstallation of a new kernel "leaving the user files" (Windows recovery procedure): (no effect)

- Restore of two older backups (the oldest dating from July 2019, from a "clean and functional" machine) ... no effect.

- change of the video driver using the "hp softpack tool", latest driver (no effect)

- scouring with ammoniacal soap, bleach and iron wool of all partitions, "fresh" installation of an original Windows kernel "Made In MSDN" .

... And then I start to wonder if I was not running crazy

... without installing ANYTHING but the kernel, the "3D" gpu reach 100%. The video driver installed by default by Windows was the  "good" one, the famous "intel HD 5500".

With my best Blue Steel 44.,  I shoot the driver via the device manager (uninstalling the component). Windows decided to use a "Microsoft basic video card" ... and everything came back, nice and easy. A responsive interface, a normal 2.6 GHz clock frequency, task bar pops up and clears smoothly

I sould precise that I also used a Linux Mint in another partion,  which never showed the slightest sign of illness or bad behavior. Hardware  is fine, it is really a "software" question.

But the  "shoot the driver" approach is not elegant :  the display color management is ugly (which is slightly disturbing in 3D modeling when I use a CAD /CAM or EDA softwares ) ... and this **bleep** Windows automatically decides from time to time to pick up a driver corresponding to the description of the original video board/chipset. And "big badaboom" again.

I can only work with the open device manager, ready to kill the Intel driver as soon as it shows up.

- I have not seen any alerts or security advices  from Intel or HP / Compaq on this subject

- I do not think it is a regression related to the last Windows update (I would not have a problem with the restore of the old versions)

If anyone  had an idea, even a totally absurd one, I would be ready to listen to his advice.  I must admit, I'm totally lost 

Cheers

Mark

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

reply to myself : 

after several investigations, it seems that the main board and/or the cpu cooling have to be repaired . Machine sent to the HP maintenance center... 

I'm affraid I'll never know the reason of the failure

thread closed

mark 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.