Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have had my notebook for almost 4 years now, but today the "action keys" (like adjusting brightness, volume, keyboard backlight etc at the top of the keyboard) have stopped working. Nothing happens when I press them. I tried checking the BIOS screen to make sure action keys were enabled and they are, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ka_wright

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Notebook. I understand that you are getting issues with the actions keys and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Perform a bios update.

Click here and follow the document to update the bios.

Enable the actions keys again in bios.

• Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
  • Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the compute.
  • Click here follow the document.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ka_wright

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Notebook. I understand that you are getting issues with the actions keys and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Perform a bios update.

Click here and follow the document to update the bios.

Enable the actions keys again in bios.

• Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
  • Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the compute.
  • Click here follow the document.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Updating the BIOS worked! 

HP Recommended

@ka_wright

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and efforts.

Good to know that issue is fixed.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If the posted solution doesn't work, try pressing the windows + backspace keys. On my HP Envy this key combination toggles between the action keys and the function keys.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.