Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just recently bought an HP Pavilion x360 14inch 2 in 1 laptop that has a touch screen, but I've been wanting to draw with a stylus as my laptop doesn't come with one.  And I've bought a few budget active pens not knowing that it would have issues with compatibility, and as I try to draw or write it would skip lines and they aren't straight either. I've been doing a lot of researching and found this and that where people say it would and wouldn't work as I'm frustrated on trying to just find a working pen.

I just want an affordable active pen for drawing and overall doing digital art, without having the issue of glitches and incompatibility. I would get an HP pen but I don't know which one will work perfectly with my laptop. And honestly, I don't want to pay a lot for an active pen, so if anyone knows of other brands that are cheap and works on an HP Pavilion x360. I'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Zen4521 

There are problems with trying to find a compatible pen - budget or otherwise - without even knowing whether the particular model is compatible with an active stylus.

What?

Not all models of new computers (or old ones, for that matter) are compatible with a pen or active stylus.

Budget pens aside - finding any compatible pen is a "win".

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Please do NOT post the serial number or any private information – we are a public resource.

Two ways to do this:

Report back your product number / exact model

so we can complete the search for you...

OR

Check for a compatible pen for yourself.

REMINDER:  HP does not provide information on non-HP products.

If you want to complete this check for yourself:

Preparation and Notes

PEN / Digital Pen:  Remember you will need a driver for HP Tilt Pen that matches your version of Windows 10. 

Start  (Windows button) > Settings  > System  > About 

You will need to know the Product Name / Product Number of your computer / workstation

IMPORTANT

If the HPVA is not available and / or is not able to answer reasonable requests, it is possible the interface is down.  There is no alternative but to wait and try another time.  The HPVA is NOT under the control of the Community.  We have no way to “go around” the process.  Usually, if the HPVA is down on the weekend, normal operation will resume by Monday morning.

Method – Search Compatible Product(s) using the HP Virtual Agent - HPVA

Check the data for yourself using the HP Virtual Assistant

Consumer systems can open the agent at the product homepage.

Consumer Notebook Examples:  Notebook, Pavilion, Spectre, Envy, and others

• Open the Support Home for your Computer.
  • Click / Open the Virtual Agent (lower right corner of the homepage screen / web page).
  • Wait for the Virtual Agent to be ready to receive your question.
  • Ask your question – For example, ask:  “Which dock is compatible with my computer?”
  • Follow the prompts, answer the questions.
  • NOTE that in most cases, it is enough to search at the "series" level, or select a model similar to yours from the list within your model series.
  • Note that a compatible product result does not guarantee the HP Store carries that product in stock.

• Thanks for using the HP Virtual Assistant.

Example Questions: 

Which dock is compatible with my computer?

Is Thunderbolt dock compatible with my computer?

Which pen is compatible with my computer?

Notes:

• A compatible product result does not guarantee the HP Store carries that product.
  • If you “Finish” the Virtual Assistant chat session, the assistant uses the data to improve the behavior. 
  • The HP Virtual Assistant is not yet true “AI”, but finishing the inquiry does help the software get better over time.

and / or

Doesn't work? – Do not want it - Need an alternative method to check and search?

Method – Search for Stylus / Pen in your Service Guide

A few products list compatible products in the Service guide.

• Open the Support Home for your Computer
  • Open Category Manuals
  • Search for and open the Service Guide for your computer
  • Search the guide for “Pen”

Method – Search the HP Store

Newer products might include the Tech Notes / Specs information.

Another method

Open the Store

Store/HP.com 

Not your store?  Click Flag near bottom of website to change region.

Select your item

Click on Tech Specs or Technical Details

Compatibility is listed in the tech document.

NOTES

• Tech Specs / Technical Details in the Store might not include compatibility information for Pen.  Scroll the page to check.  Not there?  Contact the store directly and ask for help.
  • Once you have the Product Number / Part Number, check HP Parts Store or another merchant of your choice.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Zen4521 

There are problems with trying to find a compatible pen - budget or otherwise - without even knowing whether the particular model is compatible with an active stylus.

What?

Not all models of new computers (or old ones, for that matter) are compatible with a pen or active stylus.

Budget pens aside - finding any compatible pen is a "win".

Please do NOT post the serial number or any private information – we are a public resource.

Two ways to do this:

Report back your product number / exact model

so we can complete the search for you...

OR

Check for a compatible pen for yourself.

REMINDER:  HP does not provide information on non-HP products.

If you want to complete this check for yourself:

Preparation and Notes

PEN / Digital Pen:  Remember you will need a driver for HP Tilt Pen that matches your version of Windows 10. 

Start  (Windows button) > Settings  > System  > About 

You will need to know the Product Name / Product Number of your computer / workstation

IMPORTANT

If the HPVA is not available and / or is not able to answer reasonable requests, it is possible the interface is down.  There is no alternative but to wait and try another time.  The HPVA is NOT under the control of the Community.  We have no way to “go around” the process.  Usually, if the HPVA is down on the weekend, normal operation will resume by Monday morning.

Method – Search Compatible Product(s) using the HP Virtual Agent - HPVA

Check the data for yourself using the HP Virtual Assistant

Consumer systems can open the agent at the product homepage.

Consumer Notebook Examples:  Notebook, Pavilion, Spectre, Envy, and others

• Open the Support Home for your Computer.
  • Click / Open the Virtual Agent (lower right corner of the homepage screen / web page).
  • Wait for the Virtual Agent to be ready to receive your question.
  • Ask your question – For example, ask:  “Which dock is compatible with my computer?”
  • Follow the prompts, answer the questions.
  • NOTE that in most cases, it is enough to search at the "series" level, or select a model similar to yours from the list within your model series.
  • Note that a compatible product result does not guarantee the HP Store carries that product in stock.

• Thanks for using the HP Virtual Assistant.

Example Questions: 

Which dock is compatible with my computer?

Is Thunderbolt dock compatible with my computer?

Which pen is compatible with my computer?

Notes:

• A compatible product result does not guarantee the HP Store carries that product.
  • If you “Finish” the Virtual Assistant chat session, the assistant uses the data to improve the behavior. 
  • The HP Virtual Assistant is not yet true “AI”, but finishing the inquiry does help the software get better over time.

and / or

Doesn't work? – Do not want it - Need an alternative method to check and search?

Method – Search for Stylus / Pen in your Service Guide

A few products list compatible products in the Service guide.

• Open the Support Home for your Computer
  • Open Category Manuals
  • Search for and open the Service Guide for your computer
  • Search the guide for “Pen”

Method – Search the HP Store

Newer products might include the Tech Notes / Specs information.

Another method

Open the Store

Store/HP.com 

Not your store?  Click Flag near bottom of website to change region.

Select your item

Click on Tech Specs or Technical Details

Compatibility is listed in the tech document.

NOTES

• Tech Specs / Technical Details in the Store might not include compatibility information for Pen.  Scroll the page to check.  Not there?  Contact the store directly and ask for help.
  • Once you have the Product Number / Part Number, check HP Parts Store or another merchant of your choice.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks but I guess now I totally regret buying HP products now, after doing a bit more research of my own and using the methods you have showed me. Turns out my laptop doesn't have a compatible active stylus, after digging around further to find how poorly built and expensive HP stylus pens are. I won't take any chances after all the reviews I've seen, seeing how there is no answer or actual solutions towards finding an active pen. I'll just be buying a passive pen, that'll cost me less and not have to deal with compatibility issues. 

HP Recommended

@Zen4521 

Unfortunately, sometimes the answer is No.

We don't control that part of the solution, of course.

Nonetheless, you are welcome.

I am sorry you are disappointed.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.