Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a HP Spectre x360 - 13-4009na  and have just upgraded to Windows 10. The problem is I cannot alter the screen brightness using any of the usual methods.

- The fn buttons do not work

- There is no brightness control displayed on the Control panel - Power Options

- The Calibrate Display Colour method fails with an error while "... preparing to calibrate ..." - "Unspecified error".

So my display is set to high brightness and I cannot change it. Please can someone help?

Thanks, Paul.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

I too had the same problem after updating my pavillion to w10.. The problem which i found out was that the display adapter had to be updated. Go to display settings and update driver software

HP Recommended

See my posted "JamaicanTech876" on the below forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/Windows-10/m-p/5097223/highlight/true#M32659

This was how i was able to fix the issue on my PC.

HP Recommended

Omg, I had the same issue too.  I kinda tried changing it with the AMD driver (that I had to re-install after the Windows 10 update) it was pre-installed when I first got my laptop, anyway besides the point, I used it and it kinda changes your brightness, but not the same way as using your brightness control buttons to. I hope that helps much, It didnt exsctly satisfy me. But the AMD driver (if you have a laptop) is a great driver that runs your graphics really smoothly

HP Recommended

I fixed this on my Envy 15 j151sa - 

Settings > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties

Then Properties > Driver Tab > Update Driver button.

Voila!

HP Recommended

Thank you, that solution is really helpful :Wink:

HP Recommended

OK I went to Device Manager then expanded Monitors, after that I went to Properties on  Generic Pnp Monitor then I clicked  Enable. Thats it fully restored brightness instantly. Good Luck 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this fix, out of all the fixes on this forum, this is the only one that worked for me.

Display bightness issue control

i had the same issue and this worked perfect.

HP Recommended

uugghhh, im having the problem again. This time the cause of it was me updating the AMD Driver to its newset version and I couldnt change my brightness so I tried to updated it, and it woulddt allow me to so then I tried down grading it and still couldnt change the brightness. so im just like my pc is becomeing a piece of crap. 2 USB ports dont work, my keyboard dosnt work, (which is kinda my fault) and I cant even run the printer on here. so its practicly internaly falling apart.

HP Recommended

i tried the other way, it worked im happy now, thnks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.