Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cc665cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to change the brightness with the function keys (f2, f3),  or system settings. Using the f2 and f3 keys does change the slider position but there is no change in brightness. When I go to System (display, sound, notifications, power) and move the brightness slider with the mouse there is no change in brightness. This is with the laptop display. I have not checked with an external monitor yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Device Manager indicated no problem with the Display Adapter.  But I have located the problem and a solution. Thanks to your post and another one I narrowed the problem down to being software and not hardware. I used the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" app to identify that there was in fact a driver issue even though the Device Manager indicated that there was no problem. Long story short, I used the support assistant to fix the problem and it in fact did. I do not know which file was replaced by the assistant because all it said was one file was replaced. But it fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Jont44 , welcome to the Community.

Here is the User Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05641853.pdf

If you look at "Action Keys, Keyboard areas, Page 13, the second and third keys from the top are the keys to Decrease and Increase brightness.  I can't find any information about the F2 and F3 keys in the Guide.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi, @Jont44 

If the graphics driver is installed and reports working properly, see if installing the HP System Event Utility allows you to use the Fn keys to adjust the brightness.

Get HP System Event Utility - Microsoft Store

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen, your link is not functioning properly!  The error message states the page can't be found.

HP Recommended

Hi, Gene:

It works fine for me. 

HP Recommended

Hey Paul, I still get the error message using Firefox 88.0.

Update: I just tried it again and it worked this time.  Thanks!

Something strange is going on.  I tried the link one last time to make certain it was working and I got the error message again.  I don't know what is happening.

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back and I'm sorry for the slow response.  On this model the screen brightness keys also serve as function keys 2 and 3 and are activated by pressing the fn key.

I have located the problem and a solution. Thanks to your post and another one I narrowed the problem down to being software and not hardware. I used the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" app to identify that there was in fact a driver issue even though the Device Manager indicated that there was no problem. Long story short, I used the support assistant to fix the problem and it in fact did. I do not know which file was replaced by the assistant because all it said was one file was replaced. But it fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Glad you were able to get the brightness keys to work again. 

HP Recommended

The Device Manager indicated no problem with the Display Adapter.  But I have located the problem and a solution. Thanks to your post and another one I narrowed the problem down to being software and not hardware. I used the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" app to identify that there was in fact a driver issue even though the Device Manager indicated that there was no problem. Long story short, I used the support assistant to fix the problem and it in fact did. I do not know which file was replaced by the assistant because all it said was one file was replaced. But it fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the excellent update on your problem, @Jont44!

I have always said that 15% to 20% of problems are caused by hardware and the remainder by software.  I have proven this time after time in my 30+ years of computing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.