Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 w100 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My screen used to auto rotate whenever I flipped my laptop into tablet mode, turned it around etc. but recently the display became locked. I found the "rotation lock" button but it is grayed-over and unable to be selected. When I went into the control panel, the option there is also gray and does not allow for it to be clicked on or changed. What do I do in order to fix this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Tamarajsb, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand auto rotation option is grayed out on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Hold Win + R type 'regedit' and enter

Registry editor will open up.

Goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Check the value of Enable file if it is 0 rotation will be OFF if 1 rotation will be ON.

Restart and Auto rotation will work. 

Note: The lock rotation button in display settings will still be disabled, not sure why.

Also, try updating HP HD Touchscreen Controller Firmware on your PC and check if it helps.

Please find the link to update the firmware.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed those directions and reset the value to "1", restarted my computer, but it did not solve the problem. When I went back in to registry editor, the value for "enable" had been reset to "0"

I also clicked on your link to update the touchscreen firmware.... a black screen popped up with a bunch of coding and then went away. I restarted the computer after this. Not sure if this actually updated anything. 

Additionally, my keyboard isnt turning off when I flip the laptop into tablet mode. So if it's resting on my lap or a table, the keys get pressed accidentally. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Tamarajsb

I see that you were interacting with @A4Apollo. I'd like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Did you try updating the display drivers? If not try these steps first:

1. Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
    2. Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver. For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Update Driver.
    3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.

1. If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the device, and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

If the issue persists, try the steps listed here: 

Solution 1:

The keyboard in Windows 10 has an automatic detector to disable the keyboard and the trackpad as soon as it becomes a 'tablet'. To access it go to the following menu items: 
Control panel (NOT SETTINGS) -> Keyboard (use icons) -> Keyboard Lock -> Auto-Lock the keyboard and touchpad (recommended)
You can use these settings to disable the keyboard in tablet mode

Solution 2:

Some of the users who had the similar issue have mentioned in some forums that the issue is fixed by adjusting the angle of the tablet. When the laptop is rotated sideways it attempts to switch to tablet mode, even when you have not adjusted the screen angle. The sensing is done by an orientation sensor in the base of the laptop, not in the hinges. So, to turn the keyboard back on and to go to laptop mode try tilting the whole laptop towards you slightly and check. 

Solution 3:

Update the Windows and BIOS. Run the windows update and make sure the windows is up to date. Now, go to http://hp.care/2bjHn5I and enter the complete product number to get the driver download page for your machine. Download and update the BIOS, restart and check for the issue resolution.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.