Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got this used from someone at work. Works flawlessly up until about a month ago. I got it out of my backpack and the backlight for the screen is not working. I do not know the specific type type of backlight that it has, so it may or may not have a seperate inverter. I've tried using the function key and F3 to adjust the brightness up with no success. I have changed screens in laptops before but until I know what's wrong I am not spending money till I know what to replace.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you provide the exact model or product number (not serial) for further help. Here is how to find it.

https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c00033108

Can you see an image on the screen (even if very dark)? Is the screen dark at boot (HP logo or in BIOS)?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @Sparky34kv 

Shining a flashlight/torch at an angle at the display do you see a faint image???

To better assist you, the members will need the exact model number or product number of your laptop???

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

REO

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERIAL NUMBERS

HP Recommended

REO, thanks. I get video to the display, I can see it with a flashlight, just no backlight. It's a Pavilion g7, model g7-1340DX, product A6Z29UA#ABA. I can use it with a monitor, just can't get any backlight output to the display screen.

HP Recommended

@Sparky34kv 

No inverter so it is the display panel.

HP part number:   641395-001

Maintenance and Service Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03538328

When replacing the display make sure to remove the battery and hold down the power button to discharge the laptop.

I have fried a few laptop system boards forgetting to do so.

You will know if the 5th pin on the LCD cable sparks when attachig the new LCD.

REO

HP Recommended

REO, thanks for the information. Is there anything I should check prior to simply replacing the display? I've been looking this up for a while this morning and found references to issues on the motherboard, or at least a fuse for the supply to the backlight. I'm not questioning your answer, I just want to be certain before buying a $70 part for a laptop I have not used very much yet.

HP Recommended

@Sparky34kv

The only other thing could be the cable???

After thousands of LCD repairs I would say 1-3% had a bad cable.

And I would say 7-8% turn out to be a system board.

We also test around 100-150 LCD's a month using different laptops as testbeds.

And as I said I have fried the LCD backlight supply a few times. "We just scrap them"

No fuse to replace.

REO

HP Recommended

Reo,

I apologize, I meant to thank you for the help on Saturday. I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@Sparky34kv 

No problem.

Just hope we helped.

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.