Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-db0955nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get big blocks of black with white stripes or white with black stripes on my screen. This has happened with 2 laptops of the same type already. I am super frustrated, since I already downloaded another driver and that did not solve it. See below. The things made red are because of sensitive information. It does not just happen in whatsapp web, it has also already happened on multiple other websites, and in word. I do not do many things at once. It usually stays for a few seconds and disappears (varying from half a second till 15 seconds or so?). They do not occur regularly, but a few times a day.

Big thanks in advance!

1. blocks.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@10715584,

Welcome to HP Support forums!

I see from your post that you are having issues with the black and white blocks on your HP Notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did you check for any damage on the PC?

Have you tried to update the drivers?

Have you checked if the issue persists even in the Bios screen?

Have you checked connecting this laptop to an alternate monitor?

For now let's try these steps here: 

Step 1: Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook

Before power resetting your computer, do the following:

1. Disconnect or remove all peripheral devices. Start up the laptop and test the computer by itself, and then reconnect one peripheral device at a time.

2. Turn over the computer and look for a battery compartment door.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Once done, restart the computer and check.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2: Connect an external monitor to test the display:

The notebook screen display might remain black when there is a corrupted graphics driver or a problem with the LCD display backlight. To test the display, attach an external monitor and restart the computer. Testing with an external display is helpful if the notebook display is black but you can hear sounds; such as fans, spinning drives, or beep tones that indicate the computer is operating.

Step 3: ​​​​Boot the computer into the Bios screen and check if the screen persists.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Make sure you have connected the power cable
3. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly

Once you are in the BIOS, if the screen persists, it is likely a hardware failure.

If the screen does not appear in the Bios, then this could be a software or driver issue. 

Let's restart the computer and then uninstall the display drivers from device manager

Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10

Select Device Manager.

Expand the entry. Right-click the problematic device and select Uninstall device.

You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue persists, I would suggest the next step would be to run a test an extensive test on the graphics card which is listed under Component test

You could also try to run an extensive test on the system. (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook and All-in-One PCs - Troubleshooting Screen Issues (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

It has happened with two laptops already of the same type, which already suggests the problem lies in the software.

Regarding your questions:

1) No, I have not. 

2) Yes, but since it has happened with 2 completely new laptops it is highly unlikely that hardware damage is the problem.

3) Yes, I have. Also 'downgrading' did not work.

4) Yes, but since it does not happen at a regular basis, I cannot check it.

5) Yes, but since it does not happen at a regular basis, I cannot check it and it happened on two laptops.

I already did the troubleshooter, there were a few updates but not regarding those drivers. I updated other things anyway, but the issue persists. I also used HP Assistant, but that did not help either.

Lastly, I did an extensive test of the graphics card, and no issues were found. 

Thus the issue still persists, unfortunately. Any further advice?

I have also done extensive test 

HP Recommended

@10715584,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have tried to update the bios and graphics card drivers as well as run an extensive test which seems to have not helped in resolving the issue. 

As you haven't checked if the issue persists in the Bios screen. In this scenario, I would suggest the next best option would be to perform a system reset on the PC.

For more details, please follow the steps from this support document - HP PCs - Resetting Your Computer (Windows 10)

Let me know the outcome for further assistance.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.