Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I didn’t shut down my windows10 lap top which is just 2 months old but I did close the top so I assume it went into a sleep mode. When I woke up the next morning, the Display was black. I tried every thing and couldn’t get it to display. Called HP tech support who went through troubleshooting with me and decided that the laptop should be returned under warranty. I decided to try an alternate display using an HDMI cable and the display showed on the alternate monitor. I removed the HDMI cable and the display showed on the laptop and has been fine for the past few days. HP still states I should send the laptop back. I posted on CNET forum and they suggested I might have pressed the Fn key. Any ideas? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I went through all the steps to update the BIOS just so I had the latest.  It's hard to tell whether or not this solution solved the problem,  or if this was an isolated incident that might never happen again. 

My laptop has worked fine since the day I initially called and I cancelled the return, after calling HP support for the third time.  The issue never came up again and I have since closed the laptop and  rebooted the laptop several times with no issues. 

It is my opinion that the first two HP reps didn't go through enough trouble shooting with me and resorted to having me return the laptop, which I luckily did not do.  It is only after several days - a week of using the laptop without issue that I realized it might be a software problem and not hardware (since I did the HP hardware diagnostic tool via the HP support assistant and the laptop passed everything).  I am guessing that it might have been a software update that was either taking too long and hung up, or a software conflict that resulted in a black screen.   Just my guess, but we will likely never know.

In any event,  my issue has resolved itself.   I thank you for your time and attention.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@LAC7 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the screen goes to black after sleep mode.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please follow the below steps: 

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows 

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly. 

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode: 

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager. 

2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard. 

3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step. 

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available. 

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked. 

2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps. 

3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks) 

For more steps, please Click here 

Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I followed your instructions and since I don't have a 'power management' tab available, I attempted to find the "change setting" button.  The only place I could find this is on the 'resources' tab and the change settings button is grayed out so I can't use it.  I see that the "use automatic settings" button has been selected but I can't de-select that as it is also grayed out.  I have been using my laptop since the display has been restored but I haven't re-booted or attempted to close the top of the laptop.  So - as you can see, I can't follow your directions.  FYI I did try to shut down the laptop while I was having the problem with no display, but the shut down button was non-responsive.

HP Recommended

@LAC7

Have you tried to update the BIOS?

After updating the BIOS, if you have the same issue. Please perform the system reset and check.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I went through all the steps to update the BIOS just so I had the latest.  It's hard to tell whether or not this solution solved the problem,  or if this was an isolated incident that might never happen again. 

My laptop has worked fine since the day I initially called and I cancelled the return, after calling HP support for the third time.  The issue never came up again and I have since closed the laptop and  rebooted the laptop several times with no issues. 

It is my opinion that the first two HP reps didn't go through enough trouble shooting with me and resorted to having me return the laptop, which I luckily did not do.  It is only after several days - a week of using the laptop without issue that I realized it might be a software problem and not hardware (since I did the HP hardware diagnostic tool via the HP support assistant and the laptop passed everything).  I am guessing that it might have been a software update that was either taking too long and hung up, or a software conflict that resulted in a black screen.   Just my guess, but we will likely never know.

In any event,  my issue has resolved itself.   I thank you for your time and attention.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.