Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15-en0008na
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, 

I have a HP Omen 15 with Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU, Ryzen 7 4000 series CPU with integrated GPU as well. The problem I keep having with it is that after playing a game... any game, over a longer period of time the laptop either

1. freezes and there is no other way to get out of it apart from a hard restart which then leads me to a black screen issue and a restart loop sometimes.

2. works fine untill I shut it down then the next day it starts up with a black screen + restart loop.

Sometimes both scenarios get so bad that I have to reinstall windows for it to work again...

I just reinstalled windows yesterday btw for the 11th time in 3 months because of this. 

Since I got the laptop it worked fine for approximately 5, 6 months then it all started. I dragged it for about a month or two with hard restarts and windows reinstalls then I sent it in with warranty. They just changed the display, it worked fine for another 7 months then it started doing it again. I reinstalled windows it worked fine for another couple of months, but now for the last 1 months or so it keeps doing this every 2 3 days and I still don't have an explanation. It's becoming really frustrating.

Also whenever this happens and I connect a HDMI cable to an external monitor it works just fine. 

All my drivers ar up to date and I really don't know what to do anymore. 

Screenshot_20221023-172727_Gallery.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @Cinva 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your basic system configuration before we dive deeper into the problem ...

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/screenshot/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2) Start Windows <Device Manager>

- Expand <Other devices> ? (Those entries are for hardware for which Windows has not loaded a suitable driver)

- Expand <Disk drives>

- Expand <Display adapters>

- Expand <Monitors>

- Expand <Network adapters>

- Expand <Sound, video and game controllers>

--->>> Send screenshot

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home

Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

System Model OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx

System SKU 13D29EA#ABU

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics, 2900 Mhz 8 Cores, 16 Logical Pocessors

BIOS Version/Date AMI F.16, 07/04/2022

Screenshot 2022-10-23 191302.png

HP Recommended

Hello @Cinva 

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2Download and install BIOS Update

HP Notebook System BIOS Update

F.18 Rev.A12.5 MBAug 16, 2022Download

Why should you install the update ?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4123786-2338478-16

Quote: "

Updating the BIOS is recommended as standard maintenance of the computer. It can also help resolve the following issues:

• An available BIOS update resolves a specific issue or improves computer performance.
      • The current BIOS does not support a hardware component or a Windows upgrade.
      • HP Support recommends installing a specific BIOS update.

"

(3Reboot

(4Let BIOS be installed until it's completely done !

(5Follow next post

HP Recommended

Hello @Cinva 

We need to check CPU and GPU temperatures ...

(1CPU

Download, install and start <Open Hardware Monitor>

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

--->>> Take screenshot after a few minutes <idle / do nothing>

(2GPU

Download, install and start <GPU-Z>

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

- click tab [sensors]

- Remember to select the right graphics chip/card on bottom [ NVIDA Geforce RTX 2060 ]

--->>> Take screenshot after a few minutes <idle / do nothing>

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

When the laptop restarted for BIOS update it went into black screen and restart loop again...

HP Recommended

Hello @Cinva 

HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Follow Section 3 Recover the BIOS

( Take time, read carefully and watch the youtube video from HP )

Please report your results

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your help so far, hopefully this will get me closer to the bottom of it...

So I have tried to follow the instructions from section 3 but no result... the laptop screen is still black, I can hear the fans working but on a idle intensity and the mouse lights up but not the keyboard. Also there were no beeping sounds. I have not connected my laptop to an external monitor to see if there is any image through that one. Should I try again with an external monitor?

HP Recommended

@Cinva wrote:

... Should I try again with an external monitor?

Yes

Try this ...

(1) Power off notebook

(2Disconnect charger

(3Press and hold <power> button for 30 seconds

(4Connect charger

(5) Follow --->>> BIOS Recovery Reinstall with USB

Use another Windows 10/11 computer to create <USB flash drive>

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.18 Rev.A12.5 MBAug 16, 2022Download

Use a FAT32-formatted small <USB flash drive> (Type USB 2.0)

(6) Repeat reflash procedures:

• windows + b <USB flash drive> not connected
  • windows + v <USB flash drive> not connected
  • windows + b <USB flash drive> connected
  • windows + v <USB flash drive> connected 

Keep me updated

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

Since your last message I turned off my laptop because I had some work to do... then Monday 24/10/2022 I haven't touched it at all as I didn't had any time or energy so it was left unplugged. Today I turned it on and it worked just fine... I even managed to update the bios now to the version you recommended. For how long it will work I don't know but I am attaching now the screenshots you wanted.AMD tech powerupAMD tech powerupCPU Open HardwareCPU Open HardwareNvidia tech powerupNvidia tech powerupGPU open hardwareGPU open hardware

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.