Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 17T, 5PC71AV, Windows 10 Pro v 1903.

Camera and Finger Print Reader not working. Web Camera stopped working and the computer says there is no web camera installed. Finger Print Reader stopped working around the same time. Window's Sign-In options says the following to me:

"Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown."

And for both Finger Print Reader and Web Camera, Windows says, "We couldn't find a finger print scanner / camera compatible with Windows Hello Finger Print/Face."

I have tried re-installing the Finger Print Scanner DRIVER from HP. But this does not solve the issue.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Douglaswh Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the fingerprint scanner and camera is not working.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please create the new user account and set up the figure print and check for the issue.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

I would suggest you start off by performing a Bios update on the PC from our HP Support website, using this link.

If you have problems installing the Windows updates, go to the Microsoft website and use the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Then, restart the computer and run Windows Update again.

Windows 10 update troubleshooter (in English)

Also, download and install the HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer to this link to know how to use the HP support assistant.

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows

Please refer to the following link to troubleshoot the camera issue.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

So glad I called instead of waiting for a written response. The tech on the phone controlled my computer and fixed the Finger Print Scanner by simply rolling back the driver. And the camera was not working (silly brain here with a cognitive disability) because of a physical switch on the side of the computer case that turns on and off the camera.

Rollback the driver:

Device Manager: Biometric Devices: Synaptics WBDI SGX

Right-Click, and chose to Roll-Back the Driver.

VIola! Finger Print Scanner works.

Thank you for notes.

I will keep your notes for other issues I find.

The roll-back was a sure-fire solution.

Cheerio,

Douglas

HP Recommended

@Douglaswh

Thank you for the update. 

In the future, If you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.