Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My camera stopped working on my new laptop and when I go online to research the problem, it says to turn on the privacy switch (this laptop does not have one) or deselect the webcam key on the keyboard next to the power button (I do not have a webcam key either as far as I can tell!).  Can anyone help??  When I troubleshoot the camera settings it says there is a button that has been selected that is turning off my camera but for the life of me I do not see it!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @drperkins,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're encountering some frustration with your laptop's camera issue. Let's try to troubleshoot it step by step.

First, let's ensure that the camera driver is properly installed and updated. You can do this by going to Device Manager.

1. Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
  2. Look for the "Imaging devices" section and expand it.
  3. Right-click on your camera device and select "Update driver."
  4. Follow the prompts to update the driver. If there's an option to search automatically for updated driver software, choose that.

If the driver is already up to date or updating it didn't solve the issue, try these steps.

1. Check if the camera is physically blocked. Sometimes a small sticker or piece of plastic can accidentally cover the camera lens.
  2. Make sure the camera is enabled in the system settings:
    • Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
    • Go to Privacy > Camera. Ensure that "Allow apps to access your camera" is turned on.
  3. Some laptops have a function key (like F4 or F6) that toggles the camera on and off. Look for a key with a camera icon and press it to see if that enables the camera.

If none of these steps work, there might be a deeper issue with the hardware or software of your laptop.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.