Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-e040us
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My client told me this was a touch screen, so that is what I ordered.  HP 749970-001 touch screen display assembly.

It is installed, but not recognized.  In order to use it as a touch screen, would I have to replace the motherboard too?

Is there a driver available?  The display works, it is just not working as a touch screen.

Sparky
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

While investigating the Touch Screeen issue, I came across something called the two button shutdown.  It is  mainly for the Surface, but some have tried it with success.  It involves pressing the power button and the Volume Up Button (F8 key) at the same time and holding them down for 15 seconds. That did not work with my machine.

The initial point of this project was to get the machine working again.  Replacing the screen with a touch screen, or disassembling of the old screen, and replacing the video cable or LCD could have fixed it.

Now I have a working machine, non touch.  I would like to know if replacing the motherboard with one that supports touch would work.  Are the existing BIOS chip and the motherboard a matched pair?

What I have learned from this project is that if a client tells you he has a touch screen, do not believe him.  Go the the Manufacturer's site, enter the model number, and check the specs for that model to see if it is touch or non-touch.

My client was talking about the mouse pad, not the screen.

I have also learned that you can't make a non-touch machine into a touch machine by replacing the display assembly with the correct non-touch part number unless there is some secret no one is sharing.

To the Forum, if you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would leave this discussion open a while longer, just to see if anything is posted about the BIOS and the motherboard.  The project will be comlete if I succeed by replacing the motherboard.  The project will be considered a failure if that is not an option.

Perhaps the next person who tries to do this will have some guidelines and information before they start.

Sparky

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @2can,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the Touch Screen issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you replaced the panel, and the Touch Screen is not working.

The spare part number provided is indeed the correct part for the Touch Screen.  You may need to update some drivers.  In particular, the Graphics, BIOS, and Chipset drivers.  Once your drivers are up to date, you can check to see if the Touch Screen driver is enabled in the Device Manger.  For additional information, try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes: HP Notebook PCs - Touch Screen Issues (Windows 😎

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I will try your suggestions, and then come back to repost.   The people who sold me the touch screen said that it may be an issue with the motherboard not being the correct motherboard to be used with a touch screen.  I would like to try all avenues before giving up.

Sparky
HP Recommended

I have visited the HP driver page for my machine, and downloaded all the drivers, including graphic, bios and chipset.

I updated the BIOS from version 16 to 24.

The graphic driver is dated Dec 6, 2013 version 10.18.10.3355

Intel has updated drivers, version 15.33.43.4425 for windows 7, 8 and 10 they but do not recommend installing them as the HP driver currently installed is specific to my machine.

The chipset driver is version 9.4.0.1026 dated Sep 13, 2013, no update in almost 3 years.

At this point, I will now investigate the issues with windows 8 and the touch screen and visit the link you provided.

I will let you know what I discover.

Sparky
HP Recommended

While investigating the Touch Screeen issue, I came across something called the two button shutdown.  It is  mainly for the Surface, but some have tried it with success.  It involves pressing the power button and the Volume Up Button (F8 key) at the same time and holding them down for 15 seconds. That did not work with my machine.

The initial point of this project was to get the machine working again.  Replacing the screen with a touch screen, or disassembling of the old screen, and replacing the video cable or LCD could have fixed it.

Now I have a working machine, non touch.  I would like to know if replacing the motherboard with one that supports touch would work.  Are the existing BIOS chip and the motherboard a matched pair?

What I have learned from this project is that if a client tells you he has a touch screen, do not believe him.  Go the the Manufacturer's site, enter the model number, and check the specs for that model to see if it is touch or non-touch.

My client was talking about the mouse pad, not the screen.

I have also learned that you can't make a non-touch machine into a touch machine by replacing the display assembly with the correct non-touch part number unless there is some secret no one is sharing.

To the Forum, if you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would leave this discussion open a while longer, just to see if anything is posted about the BIOS and the motherboard.  The project will be comlete if I succeed by replacing the motherboard.  The project will be considered a failure if that is not an option.

Perhaps the next person who tries to do this will have some guidelines and information before they start.

Sparky
HP Recommended

Hello @2can,

Thank you for the information!

I do not believe that replacing the System Board will help you in this situation.  After your previous post, I took a closer look at the model of the notebook.  Based on the Product Specifications, it does not seem like the notebook came with native Touch Screen capabilities.  So replacing the panel with a Touch Screen panel, should not make a difference.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I cannot truthfully give you credit for answering my question when I answered it myself.

I would say, NO, I cannot upgrade my notebook from Non-touch to touch screen by just replacing the existing display assembly with the correct part.

I was further wondering about changing the motherboard, and how that might affect the BOIS chip... but that is not part of the original question and is a moot point.

Thank you for your clarifications.  

Sparky
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.