Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0064st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to update my video drivers using the latest HP update, but the install always fails. It opens a command prompt but never finishes. BAD JOB HP.

I have been able to update my driver direct from Intel, but now my PC is having sleep/wake problems. Not sure if this is from using the Intel version instead of the HP version. It would be nice if HP took the latest Intel driver and packaged it so that I can update from the HP site.

So my question is generally does HP do anything to the driver to make it better suited for HP laptops or is using the Intel update perfectly safe? Please no canned answers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@SteveD3 here's what you need to know:

A driver is software written for a specific operating system (OS). The OS uses the driver to communicate with a specific hardware device. Intel develops graphics drivers so that Windows* operating systems can communicate with specific Intel® graphics devices.

Intel has generic versions of the Intel® Graphics Drivers available but recommends using drivers from your computer manufacturer. The computer manufacturer can offer customized versions of the Intel Graphics Drivers for your particular computer model.

That said, if there are any specific issues with the updates offered at the HP Support Assistant, you will be notified prior to download as we wouldn't want you to go through any issues, if some issues occur accidentally, you can always rollback the driver using the device manager.

Although, I personally don't update my drivers unless there are any issues on my computer that requires a fix as that's one of the main purposes of updating the drivers.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You really did not answer my question. When Intel issues a new driver, which is about every month, does HP modify it before posting it on their website or in Download Assistant? If no, I can just get the update from Intel and not wait for HP updates that do not install properly and are not timely. If not, I won't do the updates. If HP would just treat their customers properly, we would have good, updated drivers.

HP Recommended

@SteveD3 Well, in my defense I did mention, that the computer manufacturer (HP) offer customized versions of the Intel Graphics, 

In other words, yes, HP does modify the drivers so its compatible with other components on the device and I'm afraid its not every month, the updates released on the HP website, which is redirected to the HP Support Assistant, is only updated when there are major changes released by Intel or other hardware manufacturers.

I hope that helps!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks...I would rather use the HP posted driver if possible. There are 2 Intel graphics drivers on the website for my PC, HP 15-cs00064st that will not install...the one dated May 31, 2019 says not supported by OS and the one dated 12/6/19 starts installing, but goes into CMD and never finishes. I don't get these in HP Assistant either. I will not buy another HP if this continues. Can you get someone to fix those drivers?

HP Recommended

Hi SteveD3   I'm totally with you on this one. I run HP update assistant and it never finds ANY updates. Its useless.

HP Recommended

@SteveD3 I've reported this to the concerned team, however, there's no saying when they'd have a driver modified as such, it depends on updates, only when it has major changes to offer and/or when the device is within 4yrs from purchase, is when the updates are modified and updated for the device.

No drivers are updated nor would they be available on the HP website once the product is beyond 4yrs of purchase.

I hope that helps!

And as mentioned before you don't have to install every update, only when a particular issue requires a fix or when there are major updates to the driver, is when you update it, generally speaking.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"I've reported this to the concerned team, however, there's no saying when they'd have a driver modified as such, it depends on updates, only when it has major changes to offer and/or when the device is within 4yrs from purchase, is when the updates are modified and updated for the device."

I am not asking for a new driver, just fix the broken ones that are posted. It must be a major update since they posted them. Plus Intel has reported multiple security issues on that graphics driver that should be updated. My PC is a year old and I expect drivers that are posted by HP will install properly,

HP Recommended

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.