Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14m-ba1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've followed most of the advice on many websites, including the HP and Windows support sites, and there seems to be no way to disable the Elan Clickpad device on my recent HP laptop running Windows 10 Home, including using the Registry. Can anyone help me further?

Details:

I within the past year or so I bought an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14m-ba1xx laptop.

Today the builtin touchpad started functioning again and I can't remember how I disabled it when I first bought this laptop. I use a Logitech USB external mouse that works much better. When the builtin touchpad is enabled, I accidentally touch it while typing and chaos ensues.

The HP support posting (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04648748) should be the key, since it comes from HP, the maker of my laptop.

But it doesn't work, because the rightmost tab of the Mouse Properties dialog box, which should be for the touchpad, has been replaced by the tab for the Logitech Mouse that I use to replace the touchpad.

I've also searched the Registry, and found the control set for the Elan Clickpad device. But there is no key or value to disable it!

The Device Manager has NO options to disable the touchpad, only an option to remove the device. When I select this option and restart the computer, somehow the touchpad device is reinstalled automatically. This has been reported somewhere on the Web, with no solutions posted.

Also, I found an ELAN Service listed. I stopped this Automatic service and set it to Disabled. That had no effect, even though it remains stopped and disabled.

There is no taskbar icon for the touchpad. There is no Control Panel icon for the touchpad.

A clue may be that the touchpad was disabled until today, when it suddenly started working again, I assume due to Microsoft's automagicallywonderful Windows Update feature, which runs sometimes in the early hours of the morning when I'm asleep.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've solved this problem myself, with no response from Logitech after two days and no useful help from HP or Windows websites. Elan, the manufacturer of the builtin touchpad, does not even offer a support website, according to a Web search.

Here are the steps to the solution:

1. Unplug the M510 wireless mouse from its USB port.

2. In Windows Add-Remove Programs, remove the "SetPoint" software. This is used by Logitech and appears to destroy the Elan Clickpad property tab/page in the Mouse Properties dialog box. This step might not be necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

3. Download the Elan Clickpad driver package. I got it from HP Support at https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp83501-84000/sp83924.exe .

4. Run that program. It will install lots of drivers and restore the Elan mouse property page and the Elan adjustment page.

5. (The obvious part) Select Windows > Control Panel > Mouse > Elan logo tab (not the Elan Clickpad dialog box at Control Panel > Touchpad).

6. (The obvious part) Enable the "Disable when external USB pointing device plug in" checkbox.

7. Plug the wireless mouse back in. Now only the wireless mouse is enabled.

8. There is an "ELAN Service" listed in Windows > Services. You can stop and disable that with no effect.

Note that the touchpad will be temporarily active again during computer restarts.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I've solved this problem myself, with no response from Logitech after two days and no useful help from HP or Windows websites. Elan, the manufacturer of the builtin touchpad, does not even offer a support website, according to a Web search.

Here are the steps to the solution:

1. Unplug the M510 wireless mouse from its USB port.

2. In Windows Add-Remove Programs, remove the "SetPoint" software. This is used by Logitech and appears to destroy the Elan Clickpad property tab/page in the Mouse Properties dialog box. This step might not be necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

3. Download the Elan Clickpad driver package. I got it from HP Support at https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp83501-84000/sp83924.exe .

4. Run that program. It will install lots of drivers and restore the Elan mouse property page and the Elan adjustment page.

5. (The obvious part) Select Windows > Control Panel > Mouse > Elan logo tab (not the Elan Clickpad dialog box at Control Panel > Touchpad).

6. (The obvious part) Enable the "Disable when external USB pointing device plug in" checkbox.

7. Plug the wireless mouse back in. Now only the wireless mouse is enabled.

8. There is an "ELAN Service" listed in Windows > Services. You can stop and disable that with no effect.

Note that the touchpad will be temporarily active again during computer restarts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.