Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0008nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Spectre x360 13-ap0008nc with a SureView display that runs on 120hz refresh rate. I did not notice this spec when buying the laptop and now Im a bit disappointed with the battery life hit caused by the 120Hz display.  Is there a way to turn the refresh rate down to 60hz to save power, or does the display not support 60hz at all? I already checked the "advanced display settings" in Win10 but the refresh rate dropdown menu only shows 120hz. So I would like to check whether 60hz is supported at all, before messing with the drivers etc.

Thanks & Have a great day!

Ondrej Vasicek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@OD42

You should be able to change the refresh rate. Some displays give you 48, 60, 72, and 120 and this may change based on the display. Usually, this happens only when the incorrect graphics driver is installed.

The refresh rate does make an impact on the battery performance however, it will not be as much as compared to a cell phone. However, there is no option to find out whether the display supports changing refresh rates as it is supposed to do it by default.

I hope that answers your question.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@OD42

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to change the refresh rate of the display.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and then change the refresh rate and check if it helps.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108734.exe

Graphics: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp102001-102500/sp102290.exe

Here is how you can change the refresh rate.

1. Right click on the Desktop and select Display Settings.
  2. Click on Advanced Display Settings.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Display Adapter Properties.
  4. Click on the Monitor tab.
  5. Click on the drop-down menu available under Screen Refresh Rate. ...
  6. Close Windows Display Settings to exit.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for replying. 

I already have BIOS vF.41 and the graphics driver you linked says it is for the "intel UHD graphics 630" and my laptop has a "intel UHD graphics 620".  I tried installing it anyway, but the refresh rate drop down menu still only has one option - 120Hz.

Also all my drivers are up to date according to HP support assistant.

HP Recommended

@OD42

I recommend you perform a system reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but reinstalling the OS seems a bit drastic for me right now so Id rather stay with a 120hz setting if that was the only solution.

Anyway my main question still has not been answered. I mainly wanted to know whether my laptop's display can run at 60Hz at all (not necessarily how to do it), and whether it would make a difference in battery life. Can you please give me some info about that, or point me somewhere where I can find that info?

HP Recommended

@OD42

You should be able to change the refresh rate. Some displays give you 48, 60, 72, and 120 and this may change based on the display. Usually, this happens only when the incorrect graphics driver is installed.

The refresh rate does make an impact on the battery performance however, it will not be as much as compared to a cell phone. However, there is no option to find out whether the display supports changing refresh rates as it is supposed to do it by default.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, Thanks! Ill try poking around later to see if I can get it working by messing with the graphics drivers. 

HP Recommended

@OD42

Sure! Let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey, just a quick update on actually switching from 120Hz to 60Hz. I have a Ubuntu dual boot on my laptop and I just noticed that I can change the refresh rate to 60Hz in Ubuntu. So my monitor definitely can run at 60Hz which means  there has to be some sort of driver issue in Windows causing the option to not be visible. I will try messing with the drivers some more, and consider the Windows reinstall if needed.

HP Recommended

@OD42

Thank you for the update.

Sure! Do let me know if you need any assistance from my side.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.