Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay041wm (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Essentially, in an attempt to fix my touchscreen issue, I disabled my touchscreen driver and restarted my PC. I was informed that my PC would redownload the touchscreen driver, and it did not. For the past week I've been trying every guide and every video available to re-enable my touch screen. I lack the driver, and I need that in order to move forward.

The longer version: I was installing drivers from a third party, and after I restarted my PC my touchscreen no longer worked. I then learned how to go into "Device Manager" and actually see all the drivers my PC has available. I viewed the hidden drivers, and found the touchscreen driver. It was still enabled, which confused me because it clearly was not working. I found aforementioned video guide that said to disable it, and restart PC. Upon restart, touchscreen still did not function. As I looked into the device manager, the touch screen driver was nowhere to be found. 

From there, I went to this video  by HP which explained step by step what to do. I completed every step, including the UEFI Diagnostics where you use the touchscreen to press and slide the squares. To both my relief and confusion, this worked. I am able to use the touchscreen when doing the diagnostic in the UEFI mode. However, upon restarting my PC, the touch screen still does not work. Because of this, I am confident it is not a Hardware problem, but a software problem. I don't know a great deal about computers, but you could probably imagine how confusing it would be to know you can use the Touchscreen for diagnostics, but not for regular use. Apparently I need the driver itself to communicate that to the touchscreen Hardware. 

To make it clear, the Touchscreen works on UEFI. It does not for regular use, so it is a software problem. I need the touchscreen driver.

I've browsed this forum for a while trying to find a solution, and it seems like everyone who has had this issue did NOT find a resolution. I find this really concerning, because it's just a touchscreen driver I am missing and need to download. I've downloaded graphics drivers from here, all the drivers on the "detect my drivers", etc. Nothing I have done has resolved the problem, so I am asking for help.

If there is anyone that can help me, please do. I cherish the touchscreen as it makes my work twice as efficient. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Light-Bringer

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that your HP notebook touchscreen is not working correctly. I appreciate your efforts!

The last thing I can suggest, try and restore the OS back to the factory default, which will isolate the issue. The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Bumping this

HP Recommended

@Light-Bringer

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that your HP notebook touchscreen is not working correctly. I appreciate your efforts!

The last thing I can suggest, try and restore the OS back to the factory default, which will isolate the issue. The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Echo_Lake.

I updated to Windows 11 and can't find the HIP Compliant Touch Screen Driver to install.  I uninstalled it but it didn't reappear when I restarted my Envy 2 in 1 360.   I've tried everything for the last 2 days to no avail.  Can you help?  It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

DC-Envy_360

HP Recommended

@DC-Envy_360

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

• Have you tried the above suggested troubleshooting steps?

Keep me posted! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding.  I tried everything even the links you sent to light_brigher but they are for Windows 10 not 11.  I am trying to avoid restoring my laptop to factory settings.  I have an important data entry app called ABBYY that I use for my 2nd job.  I am concerned about re-installing it.  Any other suggestions before I restore it?

Thanks again.

DC-Envy_360

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately before I was able to get the necessary materials to start the USB backup, I got a hard disk error screen. So it looks like I'll need to purchase a new hard drive, so I'll be making a new post about that pretty soon. If the problem persists afterwards, I'll update this post and let you know.

HP Recommended

This would definitely be the solution to my particular problem. As I mentioned before, I needed a new Hard Drive anyway so I swapped for an SSD, did the recovery through USB.

My touchscreen is back again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.