Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pretty much as the title says:

I'd like to disable to touch functionality of the screen but keep the pen functionality in operation. Drawing on the device causes problems if my hand touches the screen, and I'd love it to ignore my hand and only focus on the pen. Does anyone know IF this is a possibility, and if so, how I can do that?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Just_Murdoch

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you wish to disable touchscreen but keep the pen functioning, 

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern, as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, 

Pen uses touch feature to interact with the screen. If you disable the touchscreen feature, the pen will not be able to interact.

Hope this answers your query,

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Just_Murdoch

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you wish to disable touchscreen but keep the pen functioning, 

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern, as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, 

Pen uses touch feature to interact with the screen. If you disable the touchscreen feature, the pen will not be able to interact.

Hope this answers your query,

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Wacom has that function and I was hoping there would be something like that here as well.

Oh well. Maybe they'll add it to the next generation. Would offer greater functionality if it's supposed to be used for drawing like the design implies.

HP Recommended

@Just_Murdoch

Thank you for responding,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

Take care and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂  

HP Recommended

As an update, on an HP spectre x360 with Win 10 ver 10.0.17134 build 17134

Under device manager>Human interface devices>HID-compliant touch screen

You can disable the device and still use a pen/stylus. 

Yet when you restart the device will be re-enabled. 

A peremenant fix for this is a registry edit:

1. Open regedit

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch

3. Create a new DWORD (32 bit) with the name TouchGate

4. Doubleclik on the newly ceated DWORD and make sure it has the value 0

(0 = touch disabled, 1 = touch enabled)

The a reboot is necesary for the change to take affect. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.