Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cs2004
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cs2004cs  How can I simply disable touchpad ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Erik551,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to disable the touchpad on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Follow the below steps to disable the touchpad on your computer.

Click "Start" and then "Control Panel." Double-click the "Mouse" settings. Click the "Device Settings" tab, and click "Disable" to disable the touchpad. You can select "Enable" to use it again.

Or you can follow the below steps.

Step 1: Navigate to Settings > Devices > Touchpad.

Step 2: Turn off the Touchpad option to disable the touchpad and its settings.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Erik551,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to disable the touchpad on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Follow the below steps to disable the touchpad on your computer.

Click "Start" and then "Control Panel." Double-click the "Mouse" settings. Click the "Device Settings" tab, and click "Disable" to disable the touchpad. You can select "Enable" to use it again.

Or you can follow the below steps.

Step 1: Navigate to Settings > Devices > Touchpad.

Step 2: Turn off the Touchpad option to disable the touchpad and its settings.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I didn't have the option Device Settings in my PC :
So I uninstalled the ELAN Clickpad instead. Now it works.

Erik551

HP Recommended

@Erik551,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I have followed the instructions, but there is no option to disable the touchpad. It used to be in settings>touchpad>additional settings, but it is no longer there.

HP Pavilion 14 64 bit running Windows 10

Thanks

David

HP Recommended

@DavidGled,

If you don't have the option to disable it in the settings menu then I recommend you disable it from the device manager. 

Here is how it is done.

Step 1: Open Device Manager. To do so, simultaneously press Windows logo and R keys to open the Run command, type Devmgmt.msc in the box, and then press enter key.

Step 2: Once Device Manager is there on your screen, expand Test (if it’s not already), and then expand Mice and other pointing devices to see HID-compliant mouse entries.

Step 3: Right-click on the first HID-compliant mouse entry and then click the Disable option. Click Yes button when you see “Disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you really want to disable it?” warning message to disable the touchpad.

In most cases, disabling the first HID-compliant mouse should disable the built-in touchpad. But if the touchpad is working even after disabling the first entry, disable other HID-compliant mouse one after another.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David !

I read what Steveninaz wrote and it worked for me, he wrote:

This works for ELAN Touchpads. I got the hint from HP Support Agent Riddle_Decipher in this Community. 

The instruction was:

Open the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey and change the value from 0 to 1. 

Then I restarted my laptop and voila! 

Although I was still not able to find the proper tab or option is Settings Mouse or Touchpad, the problem was solved. The ELAN touchpad is now disabled when I plug my mouse into the USB connector.

Regards

Erik551

HP Recommended

Hi !

I did what Steveniaz wrote:

This works for ELAN Touchpads. I got the hint from HP Support Agent Riddle_Decipher in this Community. 

The instruction was:

Open the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey and change the value from 0 to 1. 

Then I restarted my laptop and voila! 

Although I was still not able to find the proper tab or option is Settings Mouse or Touchpad, the problem was solved. The ELAN touchpad is now disabled when I plug my mouse into the USB connector.

Regoards

Erik551

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help but unfortunately the first HID compliant is my mouse. The second is the Synaptics SMBus ClickPad which only has the option to uninstall device,  or uninstall driver, which I am reluctant to do as i may need it at some stage should the batteries fail on my mouse.

There is no option (as there was previously to simply disable)

HP Recommended

How do I drag/attach an icon or letter/PDF to an email with the mouse. Some time ago I was able to now/today I'm unable to

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.