Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15cs0061cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,   I am trying to connect a monitor to my Pavilion laptop using a j5 create USB-C to DP cable.  The specs for this computer state that it is DP 1.2 capable but I don't think that the port is configured correctly.  I get an error when connecting that say the display may not function.  The monitor is a 1080p monitor that works just fine.  Is there a way to enable DP alt. mode for the USB-C port in the registry?

Here are the listed spec for the HP Pavilion 15cs0061cl

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Thanks in advance for the help!! 

edit: shortened subject and made correction

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Hähnchen, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps that should fix the issue.

1. Update the HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
  1. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant  the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics, drivers 
  1. Windows Update.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

@Jheeley01, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps that should fix the issue.

1. Update the HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
  1. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant  the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics, drivers 
  1. Windows Update.  ​​​​​​​

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hello Praveenbv,  Thanks for taking the time to assist me.

The BIOS update utility gives a warning that it is not compatible, but the onboard HP support assistant did update the BIOS last June.  In the Bios, I can find no option to configure the USB-c port.

I already have the Intel driver assistant and it warns not to install other than the factory recommended drivers for the UHD 620 card.  Would it be okay to try the different drivers?

Windows is up to date on the latest 20H2 version and has no other problems.

Thank you for the help!

HP Recommended

@Hähnchen

Intel Support Assitences should not cause any issue on your notebook.

Keep me posted. 

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

@Praveenbv  Hello and thanks again!  The Intel support assistant runs on my notebook but gives message (see below) regarding customized HP graphics drivers.  Everything is up to date through the HP and Intel support assistants

"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact Hewlett-Packard (HP) for the latest driver for your computer."

^^This is from the Intel support assistant.

Do you know if there is any possible registry edit to give function to enable the DP Alt. mode over USB-C?

Specifications for this notebook it should work without problem.  The cable and monitor work with a Dell laptop so I know that they function.

Thanks again for your help!! 

HP Recommended

@Hähnchen, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.