Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-ae000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just purchased an HP Spectre x360, and when I hook it up to an external display and then close my laptop lid (to watch a movie on my television), the display changes from extending the display from the laptop to the external monitor to being only on the external monitor.  When it does so it freezes the video output so I am unable to watch a movie with the lid closed.  This has never happened to me before with the same setup but different laptops, closing the lid did not affect the extending the display settings even though the laptop screen was dark. 

I have my power plan set to do nothing when closing the lid, the problem isn't the computer going to sleep but the laptop's display shutting off completely so it is no longer recognized as an active diplay, which I don't want it to do.  I am constantly flipping the lid up and down and don't want the display to change at all based on the lid being closed, it is already set to do nothing.  Any assistance appreciated, thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey there! @kara_blue, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when set the display settings to do nothing when the lid is closed on your laptop. The video freezes and you are unable to watch the video. 

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different video cable?

Have you tried checking with a different monitor?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when set the display settings to do nothing when the lid is closed on your laptop. The video freezes and you are unable to watch the video.

Try updating the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update BIOS.

Update the graphics driver on your PC using this link.

Also, You can update the other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Also, try running windows power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Use the Windows Power troubleshooter to automatically adjust the computer power timeout settings.
To run the Power troubleshooter, complete these steps:
In Windows, search for troubleshoot and open Troubleshoot in the search results.
In the right pane, scroll down and click Power.
Click Run the troubleshooter to find and fix problems with the power settings.
When the detection process is complete, a recommended resolution displays.
You can select Apply this fix to apply the recommended fix, or select Skip this fix to continue troubleshooting without applying the fix.
Make your choice and follow the on-screen instructions.

Refer this article to know more information about managing power options on your laptop.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for the help!  The issue isn't really that the video freezes, that is just a symptom of the laptop display shutting off - when I close the laptop lid when the display is extended, the laptop display, trackpad, and keyboard all shut off and the display is only on the external screen, which becomes the primary and only screen.  I just need to know how to close the laptop lid while extending (or duplicating) my displays to an external monitor without the laptop (primary display) shutting off.  I want all my windows to stay on the laptop screen except for the video which I have moved to the external display. 

Every other laptop I have had has behaved this way correctly, there is something about this Spectre that is making it shut off, so the display shifts entirely to the external monitor instead of being extended from the laptop.  When it does that, the video freezes and I can't use the keyboard to restart it, so there's no way to watch with the display only on the external monitor, but that's just a result of the laptop display and keyboard shutting off.  That's all I need to prevent, if that makes sense, the video freezing isn't really relevant.  I did not make any changes, I just purchased this laptop last week and it has always been this way, I've searched through all the display settings to try to find what's driving this behavior but can't find a thing, so any info you have is appreciated.  Thanks!

Oh and I tried the troubleshooters with no luck, my product number is 2LU96UA#ABA if that helps any!

HP Recommended

@kara_blue, Welcome back to HP forums.

It's great to hear from you again.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Did you update the display drivers on your laptop?

As you mentioned when you try to extend the display it just duplicates to the monitor and the video freezes.

1. Open the Control Panel on your PC
  2. Select Hardware and Sound
  3. Select Power Options
  4. Select Change plan settings against your preferred power plan
  5. Select Change advanced power settings
  6. In the Power Options dialog that opens select USB settings
  7. Select the USB selective suspend setting
  8. Change the Setting to Disabled

Also, Go to Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Network adapters >

Right-Click on (Intel) WiFi Link (wording will vary) >

in Properties > Power Management >

UNCHECK "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

OK

Also, refer this article to know more information about extending the display to monitor.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, I did update the display drivers and adjusted these two options but that didn't solve it - the USB is definitely preventing it from going to sleep, but that's not really the problem.  The computer doesn't sleep, it is still functioning, it just turns off the display on the laptop completely so I can't use the keyboard or trackpad, and all the windows get resized every time.  It's really frustrating, this is a brand new laptop and I have no idea why this behavior would be desired, let along unable to be changed.  I didn't find any new info in the article either.  If you have any other ideas please let me know, really appreciate the help!

HP Recommended

@kara_blue, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

I'm really not able to understand your concern here, Can you take a video of the issue and upload it on youtube and send the link to me so I can understand your issue better.

When you have set the power options on your PC to do nothing when the lid is closed, how will your PC go to sleep?

I'll watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, I was away from home so didn't have the laptop/TV setup.  Here is a link to a video I took:

https://youtu.be/uQkPmd9hh8I

I hope that helps explain the issue, the laptop never goes to sleep but the display goes from extended from the laptop to the TV to only the TV, freezing the video in the process.  If you have any ideas please let me know, thanks so much for all the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.